How much do you open your tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone explain to me how a DM winds up turning off someone's air by mistake? Don't all tank wheels turn on and off the same way? If the DM turns it the correct way and find's that it only turns 1/4 of a turn would the DM not assume the air is ON? Why would he/she then turn it the other way and OFF?

For some reason it is not natural for every person witch way to turn a valve to close or open, for me it is, but my ex had lots of problems. If someone fiddle with bolts and nuts alot maybe it is esyer, for me it is natural.

I'm getting the unsettling image of serial killer dive masters turning off people's air and darkly laughing as they assist their victims to a watery grave.

I was lucky, he then turned the valve a 1/4 turn as is his procedure, and I made it back to the surface unharmed.

Bob

A) Modular valves especially come in rights and lefts, which can confuse other divers unfamiliar with the equipment
<snip>

Both the modular right and left valve closes clockvise and opens counter-clockvise. AFAIK there is no valve that closes clockvise and open counter-clockvise. (some ball-valves are different, but then it is open when the handle is in the direction of the valve/pipe and closed when the handle is across the pipe/valve)

Both the modular right and left valve closes clockvise and opens counter-clockvise. AFAIK there is no valve that closes clockvise and open counter-clockvise. (some ball-valves are different, but then it is open when the handle is in the direction of the valve/pipe and closed when the handle is across the pipe/valve)

Manifold valves, mentioned in an earlier post, used as a single valve, are turned in the opposite direction for opening and closing.

Manifold valves, mentioned in an earlier post, used as a single valve, are turned in the opposite direction for opening and closing.

No, they close clockwise and opens counter-clockwise, just as every other valve.

No, they close clockwise and opens counter-clockwise, just as every other valve.

You are correct. When oriented on the BCD so that the valve opening faces the diver the valve appears to turn in the opposite direction. The valve handle on the left becomes a challenge for those who struggle figuring out which way to turn.

Here in Sweden people are responsible for their own gear, I won't touch anyone gear except when we fill.
Both ways are perfectly fine, you just shouldn't mix and match.

If you check everyone's valve, check everyone's valve. If you don't, then don't. Or have a clear, defensible rule on which valves to check, e.g. "only our current students, DSD, and people who ask explicitly".

I always open my valve fully and then back about an eighth to quarter turn. This allows me to reach back and check the valve while it is on my back. If the valve is opened tightly, I just don't have the strength available while in the awkward position of reaching over my shoulder to check the valve. It just makes verifying that the valve is fully open easier for me if there is a little slack before the full open position.

While we are on the subject of having others check our valve before splashing, I have always gotten a 'buddy check' that included checking the valve. It doesn't bother me that someone checks my valve just before I splash - However - Last year, on a dive boat in Cozumel just after the group splashed, we discovered that three of us had valves that were closed - I know that I didn't close them. Guess it is easy for a DM to get a little confused sometimes.

Once on a Cenotes dive, I was paired with a couple who claimed that they were both instructors. As we walked down to the entrance to the Cenote, I asked her to check my valve (because I didn't think that I had turned it on). After a short wait, she told me that something was wrong and that the valve handle had come off the tank. She then proceeded to hand me my pressure transmitter that she had unscrewed from the regulator. Oh well!

ALL THE WAY ON!!! It is either ON or OFF no x/x turn back. That has gotten people injured or killed. There is NO reason to do it.

Reactions: BRT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom