How much do you open your tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possible hijack, apologies.

* I watch videos of folks doing giant strides off of boats. Almost every single person manning the boat exit grabs the valve to test it.
* I know the captain (on our boat dives they managed the giant strides) checked all the valves for our jumps.
* Numerous people here want to tell the DM not to touch their gas.
Makes me wonder how many DM's smile and say "You're the boss." and then test the valve anyway. The diver can't see behind their back. Assuming that the DM has most likely been given instructions by the captain and or dive company to check every valve.

I would submit that a person could take test breaths on board, then unless a negative entry, take a few on the surface before descent.

To make this on-topic, did Hitlers 'stache make his mask leak? Or is that what the warhammer maneuver fixes? Sorry I am still a newb.

B) How confident are you that the DM fiddling with your valve didn't screw up?
That problem definitely happens. If you own the tank you're diving you can solve it with a vindicator handwheel. They're under $20.
41Rjof249iL.jpg

I also take a couple extra big breaths when I'm about to jump (hopefully) after everyone is done fooling with my valve on the trip to the back of the boat. So far, I've never actually splashed with a tank that wasn't fully on.

Last edited:
* I watch videos of folks doing giant strides off of boats. Almost every single person manning the boat exit grabs the valve to test it.
* I know the captain (on our boat dives they managed the giant strides) checked all the valves for our jumps.
* Numerous people here want to tell the DM not to touch their gas.
Makes me wonder how many DM's smile and say "You're the boss." and then test the valve anyway.
In at least one place I've had to lead dives in, not doing that would be grounds for the BM in charge "assisting" (replacing) you and a stern talk at the back of the shop later.

As a dive op, you either trust your client divers or you don't. If you do, you can be subject to some liability if that trust was misplaced. But if you don't, you expose yourself to much greater liability, should you skip that check for that one diver who didn't open their valve.

You will be asked why didn't you check the valve, which you usually did. And whatever you answer, it will look like the accident happened because you were complacent this one time. With tec divers it's different, but with rec divers, if you have a safety-related house rule, you place yourself at much more legal risk by making exceptions than by not having it in the first place.

To make this on-topic, did Hitlers 'stache make his mask leak? Or is that what the warhammer maneuver fixes?
It sure did, but you definitely don't want to know what the maneuver fixes. Seriously, if you want to continue to enjoy diving as much as you do now, you don't.

In at least one place I've had to lead dives in, not doing that would be grounds for the BM in charge "assisting" (replacing) you and a stern talk at the back of the shop later.
It sure did, but you definitely don't want to know what the maneuver fixes. Seriously, if you want to continue to enjoy diving as much as you do now, you don't.

Both as I suspected. Gracias!

Easy way to avoid this is to open it fully yourself, tell your buddy to keep an eye on the valve so nobody touches it and then back roll or jump with a hand on the valve. Here in Sweden people are responsible for their own gear, I won't touch anyone gear except when we fill. And then I tell them to remove stage of they want a fill. If they forget to remove it, no fill. If they forget to open it and didn't pick it up during buddy check, well, they will notice quickly. If they need help they need to ask. Works very well, every weekend from May to September booked, many repeaters..

As a dive op, you either trust your client divers or you don't. If you do, you can be subject to some liability if that trust was misplaced. But if you don't, you expose yourself to much greater liability, should you skip that check for that one diver who didn't open their valve.

You will be asked why didn't you check the valve, which you usually did. And whatever you answer, it will look like the accident happened because you were complacent this one time. With tec divers it's different, but with rec divers, if you have a safety-related house rule, you place yourself at much more legal risk by making exceptions than by not having it in the first place.

Oh come on every newbie on this forum should learn what the warhammer manoeuvre fixes- go on, search for it (I double dare you)...

Have to admit that on the boats I have dived on, the crews have left the divers gear alone when asked. Dive in without air then that's your fault.

I'm getting the unsettling image of serial killer dive masters turning off people's air and darkly laughing as they assist their victims to a watery grave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom