How much do you open your tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is ScubaBoard, what else were you expecting?
A thorough 50-page discussion of the exact risk percentage saved by doing all the way vs quarter-turn back, whether it matters if you never make mistakes anyway, the value of mental discipline in practicing the skills of the ancients, and the flexibility of not doing exactly 90 degrees back, but 60 or 120 to express one's individuality?

I still turn it back a little (maybe not a quarter turn, I really don't know). Because that's what my first instructor said to do. That was in 2005. I know most agree it's best to turn it all the way on. I probably would do that if I did more than one charter yearly and had a chance of a DM turning my air off by mistake. On that one charter I make dead sure it's on.
My problem (even once a couple of years ago....) was that about 5-6 times I actually forgot to turn my air on. But, those were my usual shore dives--very benign, gradually sloping bottoms, etc. I noticed no air probably while donning fins in 4 feet of water. And most of those shore dives are solo. So, in my case, I don't think it matters whether I turn it all the way on or 1/4 turn back. Works either way.
Of course I agree with all who say take several breaths, check SPG, etc. before jumping off a boat.
Can someone explain to me how a DM winds up turning off someone's air by mistake? Don't all tank wheels turn on and off the same way? If the DM turns it the correct way and find's that it only turns 1/4 of a turn would the DM not assume the air is ON? Why would he/she then turn it the other way and OFF?
A) Modular valves especially come in rights and lefts, which can confuse other divers unfamiliar with the equipment; and
B) How confident are you that the DM fiddling with your valve didn't screw up?

I reserve that confidence for one person. Me. That way I'll at least know who to blame...

No, I think that goes to the guy who slaps people's hands for touching his stuff.

A thorough 50-page discussion of the exact risk percentage saved by doing all the way vs quarter-turn back, whether it matters if you never make mistakes anyway, the value of mental discipline in practicing the skills of the ancients, and the flexibility of not doing exactly 90 degrees back, but 60 or 120 to express one's individuality?
So, in less than two days we have had 31 responses several of which already hit valuable “you’re gonna die (tm)” button. I think we are well on our way... of course the topics of Warhammer and Hitler isn’t AOW have not made their appearances yet, but the day is young.

I am sure the GUI, DIR and Fundies advocates are currently sharpening their stick and gathering in the darkened corners of the parking garage next to the boat ramp, waiting patiently for the first diver out of the water with his mask on his forehead and split fins held fast with a suicide clip and BFK strapped dutifully to the OUTSIDE of his ankle and plastic dive tables USELESSLY stored we in the glove box of his car DESPITE his not having memorized the PPO corrections for both EAN 32 an EAN 40....

Because, let’s face it, if you are going to do a quarter turn back AND rely on a dive computer who’s algorithm you have not personally tested against the 2012 Perdix on scratch paper, you do not deserve a nitrox card and really should have died on dive three of your basic certification. Espicially, since you were using a rental regulator that you NOT personally field stripped between each use.

So just remember Sonny, when I started diving, that 1/4 turn was still question number 17 on the 1980 NAUI SCUBA diver exam. And that was only twenty years after the last of those valves were manufactured. Don’t tell me how to dive! Live and let dive!

Last edited:
A) Modular valves especially come in rights and lefts, which can confuse other divers unfamiliar with the equipment; and
B) How confident are you that the DM fiddling with your valve didn't screw up?

I reserve that confidence for one person. Me. That way I'll at least know who to blame...
Thanks for the valve info.
I would be confident that my gas is on by taking several breaths before jumping in. If the DM turned it off I would find out. As well, I would tell the DM not to touch and that my air is on. But as I said, in my particular case a boat dive happens once yearly, if that.

...you do not deserve a nitrox card and really should have died on dive three of your basic certification.
That sounds exactly like what Hitler might have said while performing the Warhammer maneuver in a poodle jacket with his gas 1/4 turn back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom