how much do dive instructors get paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello
I know this is an old post. But I wanted to say that I just bought New Wave Divers about a 1 1/2 years ago and I have updated all equipment, fixed the boats that were in dry dock and sitting in the water untouched for years, hired employees and remolded the building. It is a much nicer place now and we are very busy. I will have the old website but am in the process of moving it all over to the new one. Welcome to New Wave Divers, Boracay, Philippines old one is Boracay Scuba Diving - New Wave Divers

Thanks so much and are you interested in returning to Boracay?

Lynette

Teaching scuba diving should be a passion. In most places in the world, instructors do not earn as much as the minimum wage in the USA.

If you go to Asia where diving is not so bad at all, you earn even less.

In Boracay Island, Philippines, an instructor would earn based on commission. 35% of the course fee and the open water course is approximately USD $300. That gives you $105. Instructors provide their own equipment and teaching materials since most dive operation here do not have complete materials and it is expensive to invest because the visitors are mostly from different countries.

No customers, no money. To be a successful instructor, one has to be sincere in dealing with people and people come back even if they live halfway across the world. I have yet to meet a diver who did not enjoy their vacation here. That is a big plus for us. During the low season, our group seems to be the busiest operation even though the facility where I worked for before is not good or doesn't look good at all. We get lots of returning customers and referrals.

In the capital (city), there are a lot of freelance instructors. They generally earn a little bit more than instructors in Boracay but they have to do a lot more work like taking care of logistics and travelling to the nearest dive spots. They have to work first in established dive centers first and build up their own network of customers before turning freelance. Only a handful of them would be considered successful. Even so, they don't earn as much as most people in ... say USA.

My advice is pay off your debt. Protect your reputation and character, seriously consider what you want to do in life before going fulltime teaching. Teaching scuba diving will not make you rich or even allow you to save a substantial amount of money but let you have fun, meet people and feel fulfilled everytime a student says thank you. A downside is that in the unlikely event (sounds like PADI linggo) of an accident, your career is probably finished.

Hope this helps.

Only if he owns the facility and it is very busy..most instructors here in th USA do not even make enough to pay for their insurance. There is money that can be made, but you need to be smart about it and be willing to do what it takes. Owner of facility can make $30,000 a year or even significantly more with sales, boat charters if in an area that has good diving (Florida Keys as an example)government contracts, maybe some movie or tv water safety work..make that much just teaching? Not very likely. Just teaching with some pay for working on the sales floor you will be lucky to make $15,000 to $20,000 a year.

Most people who teach SCUBA do so as a hobby or sideline or as a few I have run across recently, retirement supplement.

A young person, sorry, being practical, needs a job with benefits, 401K and a pension or some sort of planning.

Of course, had I not married, I would have been a SCUBA/surf/beach bum, lived in the back of a junky old van or maybe found a dilapidated old boat to reside in on a sand anchor. Then when I could not do that anymore panhandled on the street for coins for my next cup of coffee. It is all about choices and responsibility to others above oneself.

N

I know a guy who was the training manager at a dive shop. Full time, plus got paid extra to teach classes on weekends, been doing it for many years. He needed a co-signer for a car loan on a used car. It's not a line of work that will make you rich.

As with most things, if you're in it for the money, you're in it for the wrong reasons. The fact that dive instructors don't make any money just makes it that much worse.

To simplify, would you guys say that an instructor makes $30,000.00 USD a year, or at minimum $25,000 a year?

Q.) What's the difference between a scuba instructor and a large pizza?
A.) A large pizza can feed a family of four.

pizzapostblackback.jpg

Best way to make a small fortune in scuba is to start with a big one.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has convinced me of two things:
1- I need to tip my dive instructors and dive masters MUCH MORE. They have been great. I know they love to teach and love to dive but they also need to eat. (Maybe that's why they are all so skinny)
2- Unless the price is outrageous I plan to buy all my equipment, supplies etc at my Local Dive Shop. If it is true that local dive shop owners make only about $30,000 per year that is terrible.

If it is true that local dive shop owners make only about $30,000 per year that is terrible.

Don't confuse "instructor" with "shop owner."

The owner might pull in ten times that amount. (Or half.)

Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom