How much did it cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daedalus:
I just added everything up, and I have spent $5,130 on gear and training on my journey from open water to full cave. Gas fills, Gasoline, and site access fees not included. So I would agree that it is very expensive, but you can get it done without pushing over the 4 figures mark.

I'm not arguing that it can't be done. You've done it and I'm sure so have a lot of others but...

Not from Arizona ( or some place equally as remote to cave country)... and especially not if you choose to train in the Yucatan.

That 5K that you mentioned wouldn't even come close for me. After thinking about it some more, I bet I have about twice that in 'cave' gear alone. And I'm not talkin' scooters and such... just what I would regard as necessities. For instance, I like a 21w 9Ah light and I think that I should have a backup bulb, battery and test tube AND a killer charger that I can count on in Mexico. Bam! 2K. The list goes on and on...

Stephen Ash:
I'm sayin' that even the little things add up.

Very true, but you do have a good degree of latitude on how much money you spend. You pay a premium if you want "brand name" stuff but in my opinion it is only worth the difference on certain items (regs and lights come to mind).

Daedalus:
Very true, but you do have a good degree of latitude on how much money you spend. You pay a premium if you want "brand name" stuff but in my opinion it is only worth the difference on certain items (regs and lights come to mind).

Oh... I agree. But sometimes it's not the "brand name". I don't buy for the name... I buy because I prefer something in particular... something that a certain brand offers.

Now... the 55$ H wetnotes was stupid... they didn't even come with a pencil! My rear still hurts. But I was stuck in a hard place and that's the one I had to buy... left my generic wetnotes at home.

Stephen Ash:
I'm not arguing that it can't be done. You've done it and I'm sure so have a lot of others but...

Not from Arizona ( or some place equally as remote to cave country)... and especially not if you choose to train in the Yucatan.

That 5K that you mentioned wouldn't even come close for me. After thinking about it some more, I bet I have about twice that in 'cave' gear alone. And I'm not talkin' scooters and such... just what I would regard as necessities. For instance, I like a 21w 9Ah light and I think that I should have a backup bulb, battery and test tube AND a killer charger that I can count on in Mexico. Bam! 2K. The list goes on and on...
That's why I specifically left out the cost of travel, because Bob and I definitely have the advantage on ya'll westerners.

What I think we can agree on is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. For instance, I bet that doing your training in MX was more expensive then if you did it in Florida (travel, classes, fills, etc.), but there's a big difference in it too, so if you want to spend the bucks, go for it. When I did my training and a lot of my buying I didn't have any options other then doing it cheap.

As far as the light goes, I'd rather hookup with a reputable shop that has a good rental selection then have to buy double the equipment I need. Oh, and I have a 21w/9ah light with two batts and two chargers and a 10w NiMH that I bought used from friends for $1k total. Again, all in what you want to spend.

At least I still have some friends :D

OneBrightGator:
That's why I specifically left out the cost of travel, because Bob and I definitely have the advantage on ya'll westerners.

What I think we can agree on is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. For instance, I bet that doing your training in MX was more expensive then if you did it in Florida (travel, classes, fills, etc.), but there's a big difference in it too, so if you want to spend the bucks, go for it. When I did my training and a lot of my buying I didn't have any options other then doing it cheap.

As far as the light goes, I'd rather hookup with a reputable shop that has a good rental selection then have to buy double the equipment I need. Oh, and I have a 21w/9ah light with two batts and two chargers and a 10w NiMH that I bought used from friends for $1k total. Again, all in what you want to spend.

At least I still have some friends :D

I'm still your friend, Gator.

Living where you do also is advantageous when it comes to buying used gear. For instance, every Tom, Dick and Harry has a used HID that they want to sell. There are probably only 20 lights in the whole state of AZ... and Sampson owns half of those!

My instruction only cost me a $grand$ from cavern to Full. Tanks (used doubles $350), HID 10watt Sartex for $175. BP/W used, Drysuit with new seals $475. Drysuit underware ($99.00 new) Spools, backup lights, Z-knife, cookies, arrows, spring straps, mask, etc another $300. Buddies sell me used gear, LSDs sell me used gear, e-bay, and the other diving boards are sources for good equipment at reasonable prices. If I have $5000 in gear I'd be surprised. Now I have an advantage, I live 3 hours from Cave Country, share rides with buddies, and have hundreds of dive shops in Florida to choose from. Gas is reasonable for my tanks, as is overnight sleeping arrangements ($22.00 per night). I probably wouldn't have taken up this sport if the local spring wasn't beckoning me to go to the bottom at 114 feet and I needed a light. Hense cavern course. Then I got hooked.

Well...

I can post because my wife knows. Just be glad you guys are just outfitting yourselves.

Myself, my wife, and my son. All Cave/cavern trained.

Training for everyone $10K
Equipment:

All my regs are DR2500's. 6 regs per person (2 doubles - 1 OW - 1 o2 deco only - 2 Stages)

That's 18 regs at $400 a pop.
30+ tanks
12 sets of doubles (various sizes and flavors)
3 transpacs
6 plates
1 full nomad sidemount rig
4 HID can lights
2 BACKUP HID handhelds
Reels rigging, lift bags, etc...
3 Dry suits + 9 undergarments (various thicknesses)
9 wet suits
o2 analyzer - Helium analyzer - fill whip
18cfm Compressor w/ Nitrox stick
Helium -o2 - and Cascade bottles + banks
Dive computers x6 Nitek
VR3 x2
Misc crap...

All in all, about 125K with travel. Still a real bargain

None of this includes my HD camera setup, lights, and editing systems.
Just add 30K

Cheers

Mike

:11: :11: :11:

Mike Edmonston:
Well...

I can post because my wife knows. Just be glad you guys are just outfitting yourselves.

Myself, my wife, and my son. All Cave/cavern trained.

Training for everyone $10K
Equipment:

All my regs are DR2500's. 6 regs per person (2 doubles - 1 OW - 1 o2 deco only - 2 Stages)

That's 18 regs at $400 a pop.
30+ tanks
12 sets of doubles (various sizes and flavors)
3 transpacs
6 plates
1 full nomad sidemount rig
4 HID can lights
2 BACKUP HID handhelds
Reels rigging, lift bags, etc...
3 Dry suits + 9 undergarments (various thicknesses)
9 wet suits
o2 analyzer - Helium analyzer - fill whip
18cfm Compressor w/ Nitrox stick
Helium -o2 - and Cascade bottles + banks
Dive computers x6 Nitek
VR3 x2
Misc crap...

All in all, about 125K with travel. Still a real bargain

None of this includes my HD camera setup, lights, and editing systems.
Just add 30K

Cheers

Mike

Training:
Cavern: ~360$
Cave: ~1500$

Travel (Flights, lodging, gear-rentals & meals):
Cavern (Malta): ~1000$
Cave (Florida): ~2200$

Total: ~5000$

I was diving technical wrecks before I got into cavediving so no extra gear-costs...

I agree that the actual diving is cheaper than wreckdiving, I haven´t been "blown out" of a cave dive yet so I have no complaints there...

Wow! Does the class include equipment fee and everything? Plus what do you do in a cave?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom