How Many Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba&golf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I currently own a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch 7/5 semi dry, and a 5mm Gold Core. Was thinking of looking into a 3mm like the Pinnacle Seal, or a 5/4 Pinnacle Fusion. Thinking of repetitive dives on vacation and if the 5 mm will be sufficient or too much--right now Coz in January and going to take the 5mm (advice from LDS that I am travelling with). Also, is the Fusion going to be that much warmer than my Gold Core? I'd welcome any opinions.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, only you can determine how much exposure protection you'll need. Everyone has such different levels of cold tolerance that its nearly impossible to make accurate recommendations.

However, if you already have a 5mm suit, why buy another one? Perhaps you'll be better off buying a hooded vest for layering instead.

Your correct in recognizing that repetitive dives will take a toll. What you need really depends on what your personal tolerance is.

It's very safe to say that you want to be at least one notch above what you would bring if you were just making a dive or even 2 per day. Repetitive diving will deplete you of energy, thermal and otherwise over time.

Layering the 3mm with a hooded vest will kick it up a good notch but you need to decide if 2mm sleeves will cut it for you.

I would consider adding head gear as the first move. The hooded vest covers the head, seals off the neck opening and adds to your torso coverage. It's a very powerful addition to your gear collection. I have a 3/5 hooded vest that I use with 3, 5 and 7mm suits. It's a great utility item.

Pete

A good 3 mil is all you'll need for Cozumel in January, the water temps will still be in the low 80's. It really depends on how easily you chill. I have seen people dive 7 mil wetsuits in September on Bonaire with a 83 F water temp... A 3 mil is more than enough for me this time of year in Coz.

The drysuit will keep you dry, not warm. The undergarments keep you warm, and the amount of undergarments you need, will depend on the temperature of the water you are diving. Here in Florida, the DUI Polartec 150 undergarment is usually all I need. In the Pacific Northwest, you will read about divers layering ungarments to stay warm in their 40 - 50 F water. In a nutshell, a drysuit with the correct ungergarments, is much warmer than any wetsuit or semi dry suit. It's no contest. :palmtree: Bob

I have both the suits and my Henderson (as well as basically everyone I have ever seen) are POS in my opinion. If you only dive a few dives a year or don't need the improved thermal protection then it does not make a difference. The Henderson is not as warm nor not nearly as durable as the Pinnacle.

I currently own a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch 7/5 semi dry, and a 5mm Gold Core. Was thinking of looking into a 3mm like the Pinnacle Seal, or a 5/4 Pinnacle Fusion. Thinking of repetitive dives on vacation and if the 5 mm will be sufficient or too much--right now Coz in January and going to take the 5mm (advice from LDS that I am travelling with). Also, is the Fusion going to be that much warmer than my Gold Core? I'd welcome any opinions.

Thanks.

Thanks.

....among my suits I own the Pinnacle 5/4 Fusion...and it's been fine, however, I doubt there's any appreciable difference between it and your 5mm Gold Core so I'm trying to understand why you'd waste $ there ?
...for what it's worth, I've used a 7mm in Coz in Feb and I was happy to have brought it ! For me, a 5mm in Coz in Jan is the absolute minimum I'd use...and I'd likely use a 7mm instead.
Last week I just bought a 7mm Waterproof Aries suit....with gloves and hood and beenie for use 12/8 in the Socorros...and I'm told the water will be 80 degrees...but long/repetitive dives over many days makes a 7mm mandatory for me.

Karl

I was thinking that the Fusion may be warmer than my Gold Core. I think that the way that I'll go is with a 3mm vest, that way I get more versatility. Never having dove in more tropical waters, I don't know what my tolerance will be--but I don't really want to take the semi dry. I think that I'll take my chances with the 5mm.

Whether you choose a wetsuit or vest be sure to consider the Merino wool lined Pinnacle products. There is nothing that compares with the comfort of Merino lined suits and vests.
All wetsuits are basically the same unless they have Merino linings.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom