How many wetsuits do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott 2000

Registered
Reaction score
Thus far, I haven't invested in a wetsuit. My reluctance is that I dive in cold water where I live and also travel to tropical climates, wearing very different rental suits in each case.

How many wetsuits do you own? How do you determine which wetsuits to purchase to minimize the number that you own but still be able to dive everywhere you would like to?

3mm I use for pool stuff and 7mm I keep for if I’m having drysuit issues. Dive dry all the time. I dive in the Great Lakes region and don’t go elsewhere.

I own two....well, technically three. I have two 3 mil suits here. A Fourth Element Proteus II and a Deep 6.

The third is a Bare Reactive 7 mil back in the states that I will never wear again. The suit itself is very high quality but if I need that much neoprene to stay warm, I am diving dry.

Here I wear a 3 mil or rash guard and tech shorts.

Don't do what I did. I have too many items. I need to unload some.

For wet diving, i've been very pleased with the Waterproof W5. With that and the lavacore hooded vest, the majority of my non drysuit diving is satisfied.

The Bare exotherm jacket gets usage in real warm water too.

Anything that needs more than the above, I just dive dry.

Wet Suits:
4th Element Proteus 5mm
Waterproof W5 3.5mm
Waterproof W30 2.5mm shorty
4th Element Thermocline full suit
Waterproof H1 7mm hood
Waterproof G3 5mm gloves
Waterproof G1 1.5mm gloves

Lavacore hooded vest
Bare exotherm jacket
4th element thermocline vest (no hood)
4th element thermocline hood
Sharkskin chilll proof long sleeve top
Sharkskin chill proof short sleeve top
Sharkskin shorts
Apeks shorts

Drysuit Stuff:
DUI Yukon II
DUI TLS30/30
4h Element Halo 3D one piece
4th Element Arctic top
4th Element Arctic bottom
4th Element Socks

Used to have thee wetsuits: 3mm, 5mm, 7mm. The 7mm was a backup to my drysuit. After getting a second/backup drysuit I sold the 5mm and 7mm. If it is cold enough to wear a 5mm then I use the drysuit.

Two wetsuits and a dry suit.

3mm one piece, zipper up the back, no hood, normally used with a 3mm hooded sleeveless vest. Used on the weekend for a 35 minute dive in 15c or 59f water,. A 5mm one piece, no hood no zipper, normally used with the 3 mm hooded vest if doing more than 1 dive a day. For when it gets cold I have an Apollo dry suit. If diving somewhere tropical like Chuuk, I normally dive in overalls and the sleeveless vest

It depends on your body.

I like the cold. For years all I had was a 5mm wetsuit and then would add a hooded vest if it was below around 45degF.
I liked the the hooded vest better than a 7mm farmer john.

For warm water the 5mm also works (you just got hot on land...)

Back
Top Bottom