How many times a year you are going to scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 2 week trips a year, one around Christmas the other in the summer. This year we did March break instead of summer, while nice to have trips close together we really felt the summer drag on. That being said we got more local diving in and even got away to the St Lawrence for a few days in August. I was hoping to get a few more dives in but it's gotten cold fast and we all tend to get cold easily, especially our 13 yr old.

25 - 30 dives are planned for this year. There is no local diving in DC so diving for DC folks is an expensive venture. Our closest option is North Carolina and many of us regard that to be our home water. It still requires driving for 5 - 6 hours and staying for 2 days. I try to do an trip each year where I fly somewhere. Then I try to do two trips each year where I drive somewhere and these are North Carolina or Great Lakes. The rest of the diving is in quarries.

There is no local diving in DC so diving for DC folks is an expensive venture. Our closest option is North Carolina and many of us regard that to be our home water. It still requires driving for 5 - 6 hours and staying for 2 days.
I am curious - do DC folks ever / occasionally dive out of Ocean City, MD? It may be that NC is still closer, but I have been interested in trying so of the MD wrecks, and wonder whether they would be worth the (much longer) dive from NC.

Closest body of water to me is an hour away, so my wife and I head out once a week, usually one dive, sometimes two before heading back. We're thinking of traveling out to the next town up the river which is about 2 hours away for some new stuff. Being new divers in cold water, we're not quite ready for drysuits yet (lets figure out how to stay neutral with bcd's first!) our year is probably 20 weeks or so of diving.

I dive every weekend for the most part, though i am doing it through an instructor program offered here in NC, I have been doing this since January of this year. I had all my own gear when i started so i haven’t spent too much at the shop other than little odds and ends, but i will have all my gear serviced through the shop when i am done. It will be just about the year mark for most of my gear, though not including the dozens of dives and hours underwater in pools or the ocean.

This year we went diving once in a local quarry and will do 5 days on vacation.
To dive locally costs about $100 per person once we rent equipment and drive to the site (site entry is free and shore diving)
The vacation costs a lot more in terms of getting there and housing, but the diving is about $85/day for equipment and boat ride.

Thanks very much for usefull information but how many time a year you are going to "LIVEABOARDS "? When you go internationals DO you rent equipments or take your own?

Liveaboard 1x/yr for me & young adult, I pay for both of us. Costs about $2000-2500/person, includes rental of tanks & weights. All other dive gear we bring with us.

I'd go 2-3x a yr or to more exotic places if I could afford it but no everyone can live the life of Dr. Bill ;-)
But it's good to have something to aspire to!

When I first started out I dived 20-30 times a year, but I had a great paying job so the dive locations were really great, Italy, Mexico, Thailand, Egypt to name a few. After that contract ended I spent an entire month just diving in Utila/Roatan. When I went back to work in Denver my dives dropped back down to 20 a year with a few vacation dives in the Keys and Seattle. I have taken another contract job in the South Pacific. So with teaching and personal dives I am diving about 30-40 dives a month.

30-50 Dives per year, but this years has been a bummer due to a broken elbow, Hopefully will end this year with a least 25.

My personal target is 52 dives a year, so far this year I have done 67, and the last few years I have averaged 80+/- per year.

Locally I usually dive the east coast of UAE, 90 minute drive each way fuel cost $27

2 dives per trip - Air $3 per fill - Nitrox $5.5 per fill - Trimix (20/35) $100 per fill

Boat trip for two dives $100 incl tips.

Like many others I have several tanks including two twinsets, six singles, three stages and a couple of pony bottles along with ten regulators (first stages - not all have two second stages) all need regular servicing

I usually do a couple of overseas trips per year usually to SE Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines), always land based, my last live aboard was back in 95 in Thailand.

I also try to dive in some places that I visit for work such as Oman, Saudi Arabia (Jeddah - Red Sea), and more recently Spain, and yes I take all of my gear with me, including camera equipment on these trips (except tanks and weights).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom