How many tanks do I really need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, now that friends, family and other acquaintances have found out I'm diving they've been sending/offering me their old gear.
I must say I've scored some nice stuff and have 3 complete set ups including BCD, Weights, Regulators and two tanks for each.

And that is where this post is centered, I now have 7 tanks but I'm feeling like I'm addicted and want more, LOL! Before we get sidetracked, I've only accepted steel and AL6061 tanks.

Seriously though how many tanks should I keep in service?

One thing to consider is that my closest LDS is a half hour away from my home but is a couple hours away from most of the places I'd like to go dive.

To spend a weekend at my favorite lake and do a couple of dives each day I'm there it seems like 4 tanks would make sense. However, the old safety-officer in me keep screaming for double redundancy so 8 comes to mind.

Anyhow, any thoughts on a good rule of thumb on how many I should keep in the rotation?

Thanks!
Buy yourself a compressor. Would have kept the alloys. Not enough info on the type of dive you're doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom