How many tanks do I really need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, now that friends, family and other acquaintances have found out I'm diving they've been sending/offering me their old gear.
I must say I've scored some nice stuff and have 3 complete set ups including BCD, Weights, Regulators and two tanks for each.

And that is where this post is centered, I now have 7 tanks but I'm feeling like I'm addicted and want more, LOL! Before we get sidetracked, I've only accepted steel and AL6061 tanks.

Seriously though how many tanks should I keep in service?

One thing to consider is that my closest LDS is a half hour away from my home but is a couple hours away from most of the places I'd like to go dive.

To spend a weekend at my favorite lake and do a couple of dives each day I'm there it seems like 4 tanks would make sense. However, the old safety-officer in me keep screaming for double redundancy so 8 comes to mind.

Anyhow, any thoughts on a good rule of thumb on how many I should keep in the rotation?

Thanks!

This question is an interesting one but it will open a whole new discussion since many members here have way way too many tanks while admitting not having enough. Personally I have about 20 tanks and I don't think it's enough either.:)

Unless you are getting your gasoline at Saudi prices, you should buy your own compressor.

As far as how many tanks you should own, I can't advise you but I have over 60 personal tanks in service.

Michael

I'm sure they gave you some steel 72s. Make a small set of doubles from them: independent, isolated maniford, whatever. Of course, then you will want two of those to not change gear for that day, so that takes care of 4 steel 72s and gives you long dives and redundancy underwater.

(Or LP50s or AL40s which make really nice tiny doubles, but people are less likely to be clearing those out of their garage.)

How many? I don't know. I thought 4, then 10, then 12, then ...... Well, I think I'm at 26 to 28......

Just one more is the answer to your question. Be careful tanks have been known to reproduce when your not looking.

how many tanks do I need?

14 tanks for "technical" diving
PST LP120's with 10/70 for deep CCR stuff
PST LP120's with 18/45 for deep ish CCR stuff
PST HP120's with 30/30 for less deep ish CCR stuff
PST HP120's with 32% for OC stuff
Faber LP120 with 18/45 for deep ish sidemount CCR stuff
Faber LP120 with 30/30 for less deep ish sidemount CCR stuff
Faber LP85's with 32% for OC sidemount stuff
Faber LP50's with something in them in the rack for salty CCR stuff

4x LP72's with air or EAN32 for single tank stuff

Bucket load of AL80's for stages and deco-Currently it's like 12 of them?
Couple AL40's for deco-I think there's 4 of them

Miscellaneous 2l and 3l's for the CCR, currently 6 of the mix.

How many do I have? I probably have 6-8 more than what is on that list between medical O2 bottles, spare LP72's that I don't need but they're nice so I won't get rid of, etc. I did just have 9 come back from hydro which was a bit painful to pay, but oh well.

how many do I think @rfwoodvt needs? 6 LP72's would suffice. More weight and space efficient than AL80's, gives you ability to do 4 full dives on the weekend and gives you 2 spare tanks in case one or two have a valve knocked open, you want to do an extra dive, whatever.

Yes, 6 tanks are likely just fine for one person's weekend diving with single backmount not near a diveshop. It is not as if all 4 of your planned tanks should fail. And if they do, maybe call it a day and figure out why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom