How many Open Water divers buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no data such as what shops may (?) have but will share my impressions. I bought everything (except a wetsuit, 2 months later in FL) when I was getting OW certified. Having spent decades in the water and tons of snorkeling, I was 99% sure I would make regular (local) diving a habit and looked forward particularly to trips down South where I could collect the more colourful shells. All of that happened. I would imagine that many would rent for a while if they were simply trying diving as something new, perhaps on their bucket list. Spending a lot of money to own equipment (get it serviced, replaced, etc.) when not being sure how long one would continue diving makes little sense. If you go on a trip or two a year to dive and that's it, renting certainly is the way to go financially and otherwise. Like renting an apartment when there is a good possibility you'll move at some point relatively soon (not 10 years from now).
I don't think there is any way to find out any specific info. to answer the OP's question. Same as there are no specific stats on exactly how many people regularly or sporadically dive.

My experience working in two LDS. All OW students were required to buy masks, fins, boots and snorkel. About 5% go on to purchase regs or a bcd. Most of those become regular carribean divers. Even fewer dive in cold water in NJ.

Judging from Craigslist ads many new divers buy equipment shortly before quitting diving.

It must be location - here in NJ Craiglist has 20 or 25 year old equipment at 2021 prices... It is as if they are trying to hit the lottery - most if not all of it was not taken care of and is just a big pile of dog doo...

I need to move so I can get in on some of that just bought and need to get some money back...

It must be location - here in NJ Craiglist has 20 or 25 year old equipment at 2021 prices... It is as if they are trying to hit the lottery - most if not all of it was not taken care of and is just a big pile of dog doo...

I need to move so I can get in on some of that just bought and need to get some money back...

Big difference between ask and sell.

My soon to be 10 year old grandson has all his own gear. Including cylinder, bcd, reg set, wet suit, Shearwater Perdix and of course mask, fins (jet fins). He starts his Jr Open Water class in July.
Of course it doesn’t hurt that his grandfather is a NAUI instructor and cave diver.

When I was first certified, the shop provided all gear except mask, fins, snorkel, weight bel, and weights. So I got those, and used the shops regulators, BC, and tanks.

I got certified a second time a few years later, and got the rest of the kit shortly after completion of the class.

My daughters, on the other hand had their gear before the class. They did their pool sessions and all checkout dives with their own regulator, BC, and computer. Used the shops tanks, though as they were included and the shop had smaller tanks available. They also used the shops wetsuits. The girls were still growing like weeds, so I wanted to wait a bit on their wetsuits.

I was just looking at ad after ad of Dacor regulators and AL80 tanks fitted with J-valves. Diving is a much more problematic sport than, say, skiing. Gear is expensive and if not used, still needs to be maintained. A lot of beginners want the Tropical experience that is not locally available. I am the cheapest MF and own all my own gear and on a good year still drop $500-$1,000 a year, plus gas and air. Few divers get through their first 50 dives without a scary “oh sh*t” moment. Diving is pretty safe, probably safer than skiing, but the ocean is a big, completely foreign environment and surfacing too close to the rocks or too far from the boat will scare some people off.

When the diving is good, it is awesome. When a dive goes sideways it can be very scary.
Not a lot of new divers are going to make the time commitment to get beyond newbie. I stopped diving for a long time because family and money. It took a while to get rid of those nondiving dead weights.:letsparty:

My soon to be 10 year old grandson has all his own gear. Including cylinder, bcd, reg set, wet suit, Shearwater Perdix and of course mask, fins (jet fins). He starts his Jr Open Water class in July.
Of course it doesn’t hurt that his grandfather is a NAUI instructor and cave diver.

Are you sure the wetsuit is going to fit in July?? Some kids go through growth spurts starting around ten.

Back
Top Bottom