How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Left side, usually always there. Don't really notice it.

Never for wreck, ice, sea lions (hence no snorkel in the pic), or strong current.

I dive without a snorkel (and have for many years) because when I'm filming in tight quarters it can become a real PITA. In all my years of diving (52+) there have been a few times a snorkel would have been handy (although not necessary)

I almost always have a snorkel attached to the left side of my mask. I made the switch from the right side as I had snorkeled over 50 years before certifying. I don't like to dive without it, but I have - on the Kittywake, for example.

I often snorkel out to where I want to drop to maximize my bottom time (I shore dive a lot, a lot). Also, when working on Milfoil remediation we spend a fair amount of time involved with surface operations. I use my snorkel (and orally inflate the BC) to minimize the number of tank switches I need to make. We often are diving an 8 hour day.

Additionally, diving in northeast lakes (upstate NY) is ... somewhat less than awe inspiring. I have steel Faber's in 50cf & 27cf. Deep isn't important and long (53°F thermocline) isn't either - especially considering the view. With the 27cf, I snorkel around till I find something worth exploring then drop. No point in wasting a very limited amount of air. It works for me.

I actually don't notice that the snorkel is there because I have a pop-on-off attachment that swivels. In any current the snorkel takes the most streamlined position. I had a semi-dry snorkel and found it pretty awful in heavy chop. I eventually switched to a very streamlined dry snorkel that works for me even in the worst surface conditions.

I like diving with a snorkel because I use it. For those who don't use it, I could understand it it being a PITA to them. As for this, and most SCUBA, my advice is do what works for you.

Bob
-----------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

Boat diving - no snorkel
Shore diving with benign conditions and no kelp - no snorkel
Shore diving with kelp to navigate through while surface swimming face down - snorkel
Diving with a double hose reg involving a surface swim - snorkel
Freediving - snorkel
Don't particularly like it but I've gotten used to it when I use it. When I do need it I really am glad to have it.
I don't use a long hose wrapped around behind my head so that's not an issue.
I wear it on the left side and only use a straight tube large bore freediving snorkel.
Those big complicated snorkels with all sorts of check valves and anti splash balls on top are rediculous. I'd hate snorkels too and never use one if that's all there was.

... Unless they have been so used to it when they actually snorkeled or practiced free diving prior to scuba diving. ...
I definitely fall into that category. Don't even notice it, but would if it were missing.
Only occasionally use it while on scuba, when waiting on the surface for others to join, or during long surface swims (alternating with swimming on my back).
Having it always attached to my mask has occasionally come in handy when a sudden opportunity to enter the water arose - like dolphins, and in rescue class.

As with so many scuba gear questions, the use of a snorkel often depends on the normal conditions with which one dives.

My normal conditions (Puget Sound) are:

a. Cold -- hence I'm wearing lots of exposure protection;

b. Dark/murky water -- hence looking down as I swim is pretty useless; and

c. Lots of shore diving -- and with lots of exposure protection, murky water, etc. I turn over and put the tank and bladder under water -- i.e., I swim out on my back.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but IF you are swimming on your back, with your head resting nicely in the water, do you really want a snorkel in your mouth? I don't -- and I'm constantly amused at my students who have read "Keep the snorkel in your mouth" but who see all of the staff swimming on their backs, relaxed with their head in the water and then do the same thing but still try to use the snorkel. For the most part, they very quickly ditch the snorkel.

And yes, I do have a roll-up snorkel in my dry suit pocket.

Snorkels are for snorkeling -- not for diving IMHO.

I had a snorkel on last night. For the snorkeling portion of the OW class I started teaching this week. Next week it'll still be there as long as we are in the pool. Standards say it has to be on me. Don't say where on me. Just on me. I use a snorkel when snorkeling. In advanced and tech classes I either have a roll up or simple j tube. In the bag with my DIN caps and mask case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom