How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm Scottish, and I paid good money for that snorkel, so it gets worn on every dive even though I seldom actually use it. (I'll reconsider that if it ever once gets in my way or causes me any grief, mind you, but so far so good...)

On a semi-related note I take a knife/line-cutter on every dive too, and I've never had to use that. I suppose the difference is that the knife might really save my life one day. :wink:

I too find a snorkel to be annoying, depending on which mask I'm wearing and how the snorkel sits. I tend to be the first one to jump off the boat so I use it waiting for others to get in as to not waste my air, especially if we have a little surface swim.

I never dive without a snorkel. It is one of the most important and cheapest pieces of safety equipment.

You are right, especially if you wear it on your mask with currents. Best way to losse mask, I thinK :no:. Over water may be another story though :kiss2:

Mine is on my mask for every dive, and I use it on every dive while on the surface waiting to get in the boat or for others to get in the water. I'm very comfortable with it. The ONLY time I don't wear it is when I'm down under my boat cleaning the bottom (it gets in the way while working between the pontoons). In that case it's just my mask and reg.

I always have it on my mask when I'm diving. I doff my equipment in the water before climbing up the ladder (I get to--I've been diving for more than 30 years and I'm over 65). There are too many stories of people who have been left behind by boats or get carried away for me to think about leaving mine behind.

Several posters have mentioned currents, but I don’t understand the issue. The body of water you are in is your frame of reference. If it happens to have a current, you are either moving with that current, in which case there is no issue, or you are swimming against or across the current. If you are swimming strongly enough to cause a risk of losing your snorkel, you’d have that same risk if you were swimming that strongly in calm water. I’ve done drift dives, been in surge, fought current, etc. but never felt my snorkel was at risk - well, maybe a little when I was swimming strongly.

Nope. No snorkel since about dive 150. Until then I used it in Bonaire to surface swim to buoy and for drift diving in Florida while waiting for the boat to pick me up after the dive. I now descend immediately in Bonaire and found it wasn't worth the effort in Florida.

You are right, especially if you wear it on your mask with currents. Best way to losse mask, I thinK :no:. Over water may be another story though :kiss2:

That has never happened to me but I have only been doing this for 44 years.

Back
Top Bottom