How many of you make a habit of picking up trash when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We make it a habit, and I do think it's worth mentioning. Litter is a result of the actions of individuals so it follows logically that its reversal can similarly be affected by the collective actions of individuals.

I am less swayed by the habitat argument. I lean toward picking it up if it doesn't belong there. If the theoretical inhabitant ends up as meal, that's to the benefit of the predator.

I've done many clean up dives, and am constantly removing rubbish when I dive for work, but don't keep track of that stuff, must be tons by now. I do pick up trash on recreational dives, unless it's become part of the environment.

Another great photo just posted by the Blue Heron Photography

11898569_839661892814212_9175542886985592349_n.jpg

When people keep taking shells out of the natural environment....hermit crabs have to look elsewhere for homes. That goodness for some good trash

199be5414859fd17184d6d07a1ae0fb8.jpg

hermit-crab-lego-shell-1143087.jpeg

Hermit_crab.jpg

I saw a photo of a hermit crab at the BHB that had to use a red plastic solo cup for a shell. Needless to say that it offered very little protection. So sad, but people keep bringing empty shells up for keepers. I am NOT an advocate for leaving places trashy, but if it can be used for habitat, leave it. It will be covered with all kinds of life and unrecognizable soon enough.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2015 at 04:49 PM ----------

Hermit-in-bottle-Blennywatcher1.png

Found a BHB photo

Blue-Heron-Bridge-Octopus.jpg

To be honest, other than myself, in 10 years of diving I can't recall ever seeing another diver bring up any shell, dead or alive (granted maybe half my diving is North of where the attractive ones are). But even on the North Gulf of Mexico I have found divers have no interest in shells--only fish and other aquatic life. I have found this to be true also in dive magazines and on Scubaboard. I also know it's not a popular view, but I'm not too worried about hermit crabs finding homes. Anyone know how many hermits there are world wide?

On my very first OW checkout dive I found 4 rusting D-cell batteries on the bottom and picked them up...I think my instructor was impressed.

I'll generally pick up plastic trash like bags and containers, six-pack rings and the like. The habitat consideration never occurred to me, but I can't remember it ever being obvious. I've picked up monofilament line and nets off coral outcrops...the only thing I've ever used my knife for. Once I picked up a cheap plastic snorkel that had obviously just been lost...one of the other divers on the boat chided me for 'taking stuff out of the water'...this failed to make me feel bad.

Last night I sat in a presentation by the Ocean Defenders Alliance where they talked about the problem of plastics in the ocean. While sea life may use it for a home, they pointed out that the chemicals will leach into the animal.

Best to remove it (and replace if possible with rock, cement, clay).

Always, not so much trash while diving but fishing line stuck on the coral.Pretty disappointing considering we dive in a protected green zone, fishing prohibited and every chance I get I volunteer for Eco barge on the Whitsunday Marine Debris Removal Program.In just over 5 years we have collected nearly 128,000 kg of trash and debris from the Whitsundays. Eco Barge Clean Seas -
Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom