How many of you make a habit of picking up trash when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pick up paper and plastic....things that can't become habitat. Bottles and cans, unless brand new, I leave in place as they often already have inhabitants.

1269646714_9b69c51f79_z.jpg
[/URL]

2244276649_56d26613d3_z.jpg
[/URL]

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

This is from my last trip to BHB. This bottle definitely stayed!!

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 08:02 PM ----------

Blennies like cans, too

2206249795_3b6bc35d32_z.jpg
[/URL]

One mnas trash is another critter's condo!

I pick up paper and plastic....things that can't become habitat. Bottles and cans, unless brand new, I leave in place as they often already have inhabitants.

1269646714_9b69c51f79_z.jpg
[/URL]

2244276649_56d26613d3_z.jpg
[/URL]

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

This is from my last trip to BHB. This bottle definitely stayed!!

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 08:02 PM ----------

Blennies like cans, too

2206249795_3b6bc35d32_z.jpg
[/URL]

One mnas trash is another critter's condo!

Wow ! Thanks for those pics that really puts things into perspective as far as watching out for trash that is serving as a home to sea creatures.

Guess I'll limit my garbage collection to plastic bags that are drifting in the water

Quite frequently and JREDS (Jordan Royal Ecological Diving Society) organizes large cleanup dives from time to time along our shores. Fortunately, excessive pollution in these waters has not been a serious problem.

This is protection

This is Home

This is junk

Our local mud holes are full of bear cans. Since these are private lakes, got to pay to get in, I don't feel obligated. If I have to pay to dive, they got to pay for trash removal.

Last time I found 2 full unopened cans. It is weird how these cans are so light under water. At times I pickup cans if they look very old design wise just to look at them, I place them back in.

Definitely plastic bags and cups. I'll leave bottles and old cans. When I walk my dog and after picking up his mess, I try to collect as much garbage (mostly cigarette butts and plastic wrappers).

I did experience some good trash karma. While in Maui on my first dive, I saw a plastic wrapper. I grabbed it and stuffed it inside my wetsuit. Turned around and there was this big turtle. I like to think he or she approved.

I've recovered anchors a few times and stayed in the water for at least as long. I have a clip that would attach it to my D ring. Its a bit awkward being so overweighted but it's not that big a deal.
I found a small anchor once and hauled it with me--but selfishly, I did have a use for it.

Of course I think every little bit helps and if every diver picked up trash it may make a dent in what's down there. But it's kind of like the overall pollution problem. The general public has to evolve to a new mindset--one that frowns on throwing bottles and cans off boats. Seems to me that since recycling became a big thing 30 years ago it is less likely that you will see trash on streets or highways. Generally it is now frowned upon. Same idea as how seat belts and smoking restrictions evolved. Perhaps a start may be big signs on docks and boats admonishing people who may toss garbage--just a thought-- ei. "DON'T BE THAT GUY". This type of attitude change would be way more beneficial than divers being garbage collectors--when there will only be more trash to follow.

When people keep taking shells out of the natural environment....hermit crabs have to look elsewhere for homes. That goodness for some good trash

199be5414859fd17184d6d07a1ae0fb8.jpg

hermit-crab-lego-shell-1143087.jpeg

Hermit_crab.jpg

I saw a photo of a hermit crab at the BHB that had to use a red plastic solo cup for a shell. Needless to say that it offered very little protection. So sad, but people keep bringing empty shells up for keepers. I am NOT an advocate for leaving places trashy, but if it can be used for habitat, leave it. It will be covered with all kinds of life and unrecognizable soon enough.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2015 at 04:49 PM ----------

Hermit-in-bottle-Blennywatcher1.png

Found a BHB photo

Blue-Heron-Bridge-Octopus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom