How many of you dry divers had formal training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?

Kind of, i had some pointers, read a bunch on here, thought about it a bit too and went out to try it out. Then a week later my instructor gave me a quick overview/review with suggestions, tasks etc that were part of what he would put in a DS course - but i didnt do the whole course, so like i said kind of did, kind of didnt :wink:

I found it frustrating by myself, but after some supervision/assistance from an experienced DS diver i felt i had a bit more of a handle on the whole thing. I can see this topic getting nice and hot again - particularly if the DS/BC for buoyancy issue comes up :wink: I would suggest a course or at least an experienced diver doing an orientation dive with you, dont do it by yourself or with others who dont know how to dive dry - it wont get you anywhere and is a slow learning curve!

I took the course from an experianced instructor, never even saw a dry suit in person until then.

I taught myself, but I am a experienced teacher and a good student.

Took the course from my instructor/mentor.

I taught myself.

I should add: I learned from the Internet!!! :icon10:

My LDS offered the dry suit specialty course in conjuction with OW, so I did both at the same time. Besides the "Discover Scuba" dives I did in Hawaii, I've never done a dive without a drysuit.

I taught my self with some inputs from another instructor who had had a rubber dry suit from the 50's.

I had a quick lesson from an instructor, but I learned everything from diving with veteran dry divers. It’s the little things I learned from people with years of experience that have made diving dry easier for me.

Back
Top Bottom