How many of u use a snorkel ?

Do u use a snorkel ??

• Yes I do use a snorkel

Votes: 110 46.6%
  • No I don’t use a snorkel

Votes: 126 53.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure Phil will answer in more detail, but I didn't have any real snorkel experience prior to my PADI OW class. Basically, nothing was covered about them, neither the fact that you should breath deeper than normal to lower the effect of dead-air space, nor even how to purge (I made a point of finding out, and I'm the only person in my dive club I've seen really use a snorkel).

I'm sure there are a lot of little details to snorkeling I've missed :) For grins I tried to freedive at a quarry once, but I just wasn't any good at it. Nowadays my snorkel stays in my mask box unless I'm going snorkeling, due to long-hose deployment and the joys of back-inflated laziness :)

jeff

Texass once bubbled...
I'm a good 5-6 hour drive from the coast so most of my dives are in local lakes & quarries. I keep my snorkle packed in the fin pocket of my equipment bag, but don't take it out. I do use it whenever I get a chance to dive in the ocean.

Just curious Phil TK, what is the "proper method" of using a snorkle? and why doesn't PADI offer a specialty course (or do they)?

BTW my OW was with PADI so I'm sure I got cheated, but I remember doing a skin dive with a snorkle and a CESA from about 20' with a snorkle - the goal being to demonstrate purging the snorkle on the way up.

I find it a distraction. However, while shore diving in Bonaire, I would keep it in my pocket, use all the air on the dive, then stick it in for the surface swim back to shore so that I wouldn't miss anything.

Here in Puget Sound, if you are surface swimming, the visibility is usually so bad that you can't see anything on snorkel anyway.

Bottom line, if there is something to see on the way out/in, I'll use my snorkel. Otherwise, I really don't like it.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Actually, it wasn't a setup. I'm really curious what example is being set. You're not on trial and the post wasn't meant to have been taken that way.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to wear one of those things, and I wondered where you were coming from. If you want to PM me, that's okay. Or you can just ignore it if you want.

It wasn't meant as a personal attack.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that it was a "set up" for a long discussion on why people use them insted of just a survey on how many of us do.

I have found this board to be very addicting :) in a good way. I am kinda busy today and was avoiding getting "sucked in" and blowing off my business tasks.

So i'll be brief.

Many experienced divers do not use snorkels for a number of reasons. I would never try to challenge them for something that should be a personal choice.

As far as teaching goes, PADI requires instructors and students to wear them.
1. Blast clearing, and displacement clearing techniques are taught in confined water training.
2. Snorkel/regulator exchange skill is taught in confined and open water training dives.
3. Liability, now I'm not a lawyer, but I think that perhaps somewhere down the line someone sucked their tank dry and either nearly drowned or drowned. Then a resulting lawsuit because they didn't have reasonable means to breathe while heading back to boat/shore.

I personally believe that the time to teach how to use a snorkel is in the beginning (OW), then people can make a choice if they want to use one, but at least they know proper techniques.

Also for some of us, we spend some time at the surface before & after a dive. In the northeast we do a lot of shore entries with long surface swims. Using the snorkel on the swim rather than the reg, saves air. Some people simply swim on their backs instead.However I've had a couple students who get seasick when swimming on their backs-even in mild surf. If they try to swim on their bellies with out an air source they are forced to raise their head above the surface. This arches the back and forces the legs downward resulting in a less effective kick cycle, thus using more energy.

Sometimes if you are waiting at the surface (for the rest of the group to get in the water for example) it's nice to float on your belly and look down at the reef, fish, wreck-whatever. Using the snorkel avoids using valuable tank air.

If someone accidently drains a tank, they can use the snorkel to swim back to the boat/shore. If someone surfaces far from the exit are (oops) they of course could use the reg, but eventually the tank may be empty if it is a long swim, the back-up, your snorkel.

On the lighter side, here are some other fun uses for a snorkel (besides the rum punch on I mentioned before).

1. Its a great back-scratcher-even under water, relieves the itch often accompanied by wearing a back-zip suit

2. You can make cool whale call sounds at the surface.

3. If you pop off the top and bottom of a snorkel, it can be used as a rolling pin. So you can make cookies in your hotel room on trips :)

4. You can pull out your snorkel underwater, pretend it is a pistol
and shoot at your buddies, baby seals and such.

5. If the boat is leaving without you, you can attach your snorkel to your reel line, and use it as a grappling hook to lasso the boat ladder.

6. Blasting shots of water at your buddies at the surface.

7. A new tired diver tow. Simply hook the j end of the snorkel under the victims chin and drag. (only works with the older j snorkels)

Texass,

Proper technique is part of the PADI program. If it was not taught, you may consider returning to your instuctor/LDS and asking that they provide this instruction, after all you paid for it.

There are two techniques taught.

1. Blast clearing. This is taught in confined water. First proper mask position: face in the water with top of mask even with surface. This should have you looking down at a 45 degree angle, thus the snorkel strait up. Looking strait down brings the snorkel close to the water surface inviting water in in even a mild surf.
Then, take a breath and duck below the surface and allow the snokel to fill with water important point-do not inhale under water with snorkel in mouth :). return to surface in proper mask position. Sharply exhale to blast snorkel clear of water. Use your tongue as a "splash guard" and take a cautious first breath. If there is still residual water in the bottom of the snorkel, you can blast a second time. Most newer snorkels have a one way valve in the bottom that alows most of the water to be easily blasted out. With the older "J" snorkel, sometimes placing your palm over the top, then blast as you move your hand works well.

2. Displacement clearing. This one is great for skin diving. Swim along at the surface. Take a couple of deep breaths to purge off CO2 (never more than 2 or 3 as this can result in "shallow water black-out"). Bend your body at the waist and swim straight down (bending at waist allows your feet to be strait up, which helps the initial descent). Check out the reef or whatever the case may be. When you return to the surface, swim straight up, while looking straight up(mask parallel to surface) this puts your snorkel into a lateral position. Reach up with your right arm (to block overhead obstructions). Just as your hand is about to break the surface, begin exhaling slowly. As you hit the surface pop back into the proper mask position immediately. When properly executed, the snorkel will be clear! Then same as above (tonque-splashguard), cautious first breath and finally check your direction of travel and signal OK to your buddy

Remember also your buddy should swim along at the surface so he/she is directly adjacent to you when you surface. When you skin dive I suggest one buddy at a time be under water. This way if there is a problem, your buddy can assist you more quickly. If you are both underwater together and let's say for example, your buddy gets entangled, your reaction would most likely be - just a sec, I'll come help you once I go get a breath of air.

PADI also has stringent standards on teaching CESA. The reg stays in, snorkel is not acceptable for this exercise. Also the Instructor needs to have contact with the diver. The instructor should also be using an ascent/desent line capable of halting a rapid ascent. We use a 350lb mooring with a bright yellow 1" diameter pollyprepaline line running from the mooring to the surface (floated by a buoy). The instructor wraps his/her leg around the line in order to control the ascent. Usually the instructor will hold his/her fingers lightly on your regulator so as to be sure you are exhaling.

If this was not done properly, you might consider reporting it to PADI. PADI would then diplomatically approach your instructor to be sure that they understand the requirrements. Thus in the future better/ safer training. Don't be afraid of getting them in trouble as PADI is pretty good with their approach of quality assurance.

Well so much for being brief....

Happy New Year!
Andrew

The only use for a snorkel as far as I am concerned is for a Snorkel test. Anyone?

I beleve PADI have almost declared it compulsory when passing the DM or Instructor course.

For those not in the know :rolleyes: it involves far too many spirits mixed illegally together in a noxious form, consumed all in one go, and a guarenteed nasty hangover the next day!

Sumo :bonk:

I carry a rollup in my pocket.

It gets worn only if a boat captain insists or if my usual budy asks me to as a favor. He is an instructor and if I happen to be along on a boat or beach dive and he has students, he'll ask me to help set a 'good example'. BTW: He bought me the rollup cause I wasn't about to waste MY money on another snorkle. :wink:

Other than that, I only use it for snorkleing.

Sorry, I was just just having a bit of fun with the "PADI specialty course" reference. I was also taking a cheap jab at all the less than glowing remarks about PADI training. They may not have covered frog kicks and horizontal ascents in my OW class, but they did a good job laying a foundation.

No need to notify the PADI police. We did the blast bit. We also did the displacement clearing just like you described - 2/3 deep breaths, bend at the waist then submerge. I went so deep my instructor scolded me thus my CESA reference. I know I shouldn't throw terms like that around since somebody might get the wrong idea. I don't recall any warnings about Co2 loading, but that's probably due to my loss of brain cells since then. In fact, until this thread, I'd forgotton that we did those snorkling exercizes.

Hmmm, I wonder what else she taught me that I think I figured out on my own.

Jan 1 dive, water temp of 35F, air temp of 28F and 15 knot winds. Figured breathing of reg on the surface would guarantee a freeze up (doing this caused the only freeze up/free flow I've ever had). Much easier to stuff a snorkel in my mouth, than try and get enough air in my BC to keep my face above the wave tops.
FWIW, my wife and I both use US Divers flex model Impulse II. The first snorkel I've ever liked using.:)

O2scuba,

Of course there are a few instances when you need a snorkel.

But I like your reasons 1 thru 7 far better!!

DiverBuoy, I have dove most of Florida's east and west coasts and the Carribean and have never been told I had to have a snorkle. You said that in some places it is the law, where are these locations, I am interested in their reasoning.

sumo once bubbled...

For those not in the know :rolleyes: it involves far too many spirits mixed illegally together in a noxious form, consumed all in one go, and a guarenteed nasty hangover the next day!

Sumo :bonk:

Earlier this year the 'snorkel tests' on Koh Tao came to an abrupt halt after a Japanese DM from Buddha View died of alcohol poisoning. I understand he wasn't even doing the test at the time but had got hold of the 'mixture' left over from somebody elses test and was gulping it down all evening.
I wouldn't like to sound a killjoy with regard to the snorkel test -it can be very funny and you usually end up with just a sore head. However, if you pass DM and find yourself subjected to it I would advise getting a friend to supervise/oversee what they put in the mixture, beer alone is sufficient I would say. In SE Asia I would specially guard against having the palmilk derived 'Arak' put in your drink, that stuff has a wildly varied alcohol percentage and is not very 'pure'. Avoid it.

Phil TK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom