How many lumens is the LED light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adad

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's only numbers but a side-by-side comparison with a 10w HID [or even SL50] will be great !

Thanks !

The lumen output should about 200-250, there's not an exact number due to different battery configurations. In terms of total light output it's been compared to several 10w HIDs and ti's approximately 75-85% output of the HID, but the trade off is that it's much more affordable, much smaller, and much much more durable than a 10W HID. We don't have an image but I'll put that on the to do list next time we have a photo shoot. A lot of divers who have used 10w HIDs but were disappointed by how fragile the bulbs are have switched to our SLX and there has no complaints about the lack of light output.

When using the 50w bulb the output of the SL50 and TL50 is about 1000. The total light output is about 2.5x more than a 10W HID and you can see a comparison image on our website.

Tim,
After reading the review from Underwater Camera, and looking at your product photos I'm wondering why your listed Lumem's are so low? (I'm making an assumption here that the bulb(s) are from TerraLUX which are rated at 600 lumens peak and 500 lumens constant at 6volts. )

Thanks,
Chuck

My dive buddy and I did a test on lights in Twin Cave a week and a half ago. He had a DR 10w HID adjustable, I had my new DR 700 LED slimline upgrade and we had the silver Intova led, Oxychek Raider 1, and the New Oxycheck Raider IV. The DR focusable HID had a better "punch in the center and didn't dim noticably outside of that beam. The LED didn't have the "punch" of the HID, but put out more than enough light in the 10w category with a very even output that was pleasantly bright. Obviously a larger light will give more output. All of the lights performed well. The LED was much better than my MR11 sunspot that always had a hole in the center of the beam compared to my other (AUL) standard 10w HID.

The big difference we found is this..............You cannot compare dive lights out of the water. If you do and base your choice on that, you may be disapointed. A few of these lights seemed to "blow the others away" out of the water. In the water it was a completely different story. They all performed well but the focusable HID and mt 700 LED DR were much stronger than the others in the water. I can't tell you about Lumens and output and stuph like that but I can tell you test the lights underwater if you can to get what you are looking for in one.

My reason for this post was not about brands but about finding the right light by solid tests that we can see. It was not meant to be a hijack from this particular forum. It is only what we found and were surprised by. There is nothing intended to take away or push any one brand of light, these just happened to be the ones we tested. Mark

Last edited:
Spd 135,
Your point is valid about testing under the same conditions you will use the product, this is true of any product. I've found LEDs don't work as well in silted conditions do to scattering, but then my HID is problematic when recharges are easly found. I keep both around but perfer the ease of LEDs.
In this case I'm interested in the brightest LED I can get in a wide beam and long burn times. The TerraLUX bulb is capable of more output then listed here and if in fact it is the bulb being used I'd like to understand the low score, and if not I'm wondering if this unit could be upgraded.

Cheers

Tim,
After reading the review from Underwater Camera, and looking at your product photos I'm wondering why your listed Lumem's are so low? (I'm making an assumption here that the bulb(s) are from TerraLUX which are rated at 600 lumens peak and 500 lumens constant at 6volts. )

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Codiak,

I don't have the exact information on me at this time, but the LED bulbs that come with the SLX are not of the TerraLUX brand. Also, in regards to your inquiry pertaining to the possibility of upgrading the SLX... we, here, have not done it but others have successfully swapped out the existing bulbs with more powerful LEDs.

- Aarum

Aarum,
Thanks for the feedback. I've gone ahead and ordered one of the demo units and will compare the output for the TerraLux. If your company is looking for a product suggestion, the ability to swap a TerraLux bulb for the HID with your canister light would have been a know brainer purchase for me. HID or LED with a bulb switch, sold!

Thanks again.

Aarum,
I received my unit today and have to say I am impressed with its clean design and solid build. I don't know what I was expecting but this exceeded my expectation.

All,

A few items to share about the quality of the visable light:
1) It does have a nice white focused hot spot that does appear to the eye somewhere in the range of 300 lumens.
2) I don't notice some of the blue-ish tint that some LEDs project.
3) While the diffuser does spread the light a hotspot is still noticable.

If your looking for a good light with extended battery life this is one worth considering. Couple it with a pen like LED as a backup and you'd be set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to modding this light, yes it is certainly doable. The Terralux Bulb I mentioned earlier isn't the answer though do to overall design but that's not the end
of the world. Comparing the diffused light output to that of a diffused Terralux, the terralux is nearly 3 times as bright which makes such a project a consideration.
But that extra brightness comes at the price of voiding any warrenty, cost of new leds (~$75) and reducing battery life from to a single hour.
Put another way, I'd rather just pay a bit more to have a unit built that way..... hint hint hint.

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom