How many line markers do you carry?

How many of each cave marker do you use?

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 4-5

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 6-7

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 8-10

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 10+

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 Rems. With my name on them - an simple arrow for direction - and a custom cut out pointing towards the exit. If your making your own - or purchasing them - IMO - you should have a plastic that you and write on with a pencil, and erase somehow. Perhaps to write minutes on or gas used on etc.

I just take a couple of each and if I need more I just grab the kind I need from the ones other people left behind. Kind like the "Take a penny, Leave a penny" thing at the gas station.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I have 8 REMS and a cookie on my pigtail.

I usually keep about 6 arrows and about a dozen cookies with me. Or more if needed. I don't recall ever needing to use an arrow other than diving in Mexico and using arrows for jumps after dropping all 20 cookies I brought.

I keep a stack of like 5 or 6 of each. Arrows tend to get left behind so I want more than I anticipate needing.

On tourist dives I carry about 3 arrows and 6 cookies or REMs.
On exploration dives I carry about 20 arrows, and 10ish cookies

Using REMs only, I used 11 on my final dive of full cave with stages. I'm sure navigation was intentionally more complex then it needed to be, but that's what the training is for. That was all the REMs I currently have, so I'm thinking I should get some more for my pigtail.

Using REMs only, I used 11 on my final dive of full cave with stages. I'm sure navigation was intentionally more complex then it needed to be, but that's what the training is for. That was all the REMs I currently have, so I'm thinking I should get some more for my pigtail.

Mexico?

Tangential question... Is it necessary to carry anything but REMs anymore? This is an honest question, not rhetorical.

other than carrying one or two arrows for things like lost line/buddy there’s no need to carry anything other than rems if you like rems. The only reason I carry cookies is the rems I have are from Mexico so made for white line. They can be harder to get onto gold line if the gold line is brand new amd thick. So I carry a couple cookies to be safe or for when I dive with someone who has no clue what a rem is and can’t seem to understand them (yes it happens you’d be surprised). I could easily carry only rems and one arrow. I will say that I haven’t used an arrow since cave classes. I don’t do exploration and have been lucky to not lose the line or my buddy. I’m firmly in the camp that arrows should only be used in very specific instances/emergencies. For my wife and I no arrows would be fine because she understands my personal directionality to my rems. But I still carry an arrow just in case of emergency when she may be under pressure and an arrow would make immediate sense. If I’m diving with anybody else I would never use a rem in place of an arrow in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom