How many here were scared to death and still completed OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MJS1946 - please don't seriously think about throwing in the towel! Take a look at the number of dives these folks have logged since their first training incidents. I'm near 250 now - and the only real 'panic' moment I had after training came about from stressing over a too-tight 8/7 semi-dry suit that was hard to get on (and I haven't worn since - anyone want to buy it? It's a size 4 and I'll never fit into again anyway!!)

I do want to give you one quick word (ok, words) of advice. When we inhale we physiologically send our bodies the message to prepare for action (and your heart rate increases). When we exhale we physiologically send our bodies the message that it's ok to relax (and your heart rate decreases). This is why, in yoga, they have you focus on the out-breath. If you're feeling stressed/panicky, take a moment to empty your lungs (getting rid of the carbon monoxide) and then take a healthy in-breath to fill your lungs with oxygen-rich air. Your brain will thank you as you'll be able to think more clearly. Just the act of doing this will help to regulate your system as you focus on something other than your anxiety. Once your mind is refocused you will find that you still have a regulator in your mouth and that all the next 'right' things will be there for you to do.

(Doctors, EMTs, yoga instructors - feel free to correct and/or redefine my understanding of this process. I'm a counselor and not a medical professional or yoga guru.) :)

First she did mention about equipment malfunctions in that post and that is what happened to me. I was at 650 psi once my air was completely out 100% so checking air wouldnt have helped because i was doing that dilligentely. the next dive my tank pre dive registered 3900 psi. On an ALUMINUM 80. I was new but I knew that the max they can hold is 3200. So that was 2 separate malfunctions.

Second the pissing in the wetsuits thing is actually safe even if everyone is doing it then you use it. Its the putting them away wet and letting them sit in a dark corner while wet that will get you. Which is what happened.

Yes...it’s safe. I just thought it was nasty (I’m a bit of a germaphobe).:surrender:

when started snorkeling some years ago it was very very difficult for me to get used to the feeling of breathing underwater. it took a LONG time... but when I got used to it, it was extremely easy to get used to scuba, took something like 2 minutes or so.

when planning a dive I actually have pretty serious fears of running out of air (never happened to me yet, not even close) or getting entangled to something (especially fishing nets are on top of my fear list) . It may be that I fear those things the most which I have never experienced (yet). One thing is though that I don't trust ANY technical equipment in general (because I know they will always fail sooner or later) and generally don't trust dive buddies much either if talking about OOA scenarios.
I normally dive with a good size pony bottle and have recently tried to learn to dive without it just trusting the single tank setup, it is slow to learn but progressing little by little... the fears are normally pretty much gone when underwater but when planning on dry land they are much worse.

I would not say I seriously FEAR much anything when actually in water scuba diving though I am always very worried about hurting my ears, equalisation is pretty difficult to me and I got pretty bad middle ear barothrauma once after the final OW checkout dives so I know how easy it may be to get it if not paying attention :cry:

well I'm actually pretty terrified about boat propellers. not regularly diving in areas where there is lots of boat traffic but that is a fear I will never get over with I think:shocked:

Dale, I did not read all your posts but did you have a faulty SPG on your OW dives?
I learned from somewhere that one fault mode of a SPG can be indicated when turning the air on, the needle will react slower than usual if there is something wrong. modern SPGs should not blow to your face if they are leaking (there is a weak point or rubber plug on the side or back of the SPG which would blow off and release the pressure) so you should always watch the needle when turning air on. though if it is only A LITTLE off the "normal" 50bar reserve should make up the difference so there would be at least something left when you surface.

one thing I started to do a while ago (not using AI computer, just having regular SPG) is that I check the computer every now and then (like I would do anyway to see the depth) and see how much dive time have passed since the last SPG check. I may for example decide that I will check it every 5 or 8 or 10 minutes and if going deep then more regularly if needed. One needs to know one's air consumption of course. but this really helps with the overly nervous SPG paranoia when it seems like it was forever since you last checked it but your computer says it was only 2 minutes ago. You have to decide how long a interval would be comfortable and safe to you and adjust by the depth and workload to get a sense how often you REALLY should check the pressure (assuming that the SPG works correctly of course)

It is quite disgusting for me to use other person's or rented regulator and I would not trust it at all either. tanks and lead I may borrow if needed but otherwise will only trust my own gear. I also want to know that for example the regulator's and BC corrugated hose's zip ties are in good order and will not fail me in the middle of the dive, that could be pretty serious if not having hard bottom close and accidentally pulling the hose completely off flooding the BC. it seems to be that those zip ties are normally replaced only if they are close to breaking or already failed which of course worsens my fears. Maybe just being paranoid I don't know:D

The equipment was all rental and the two false readings were from different equipment. Evidently ALL of his rental gear needed to be replaced or repaired. I had no idea. The instructor was using a backplate and wing with a very tiny bladder and it looked like it had washed up on shore 15 years ago and he just figured itll work ill use it lol.

As to the exact reason for the malfunctions I have no idea. Air in the equipment etc? Right after that a buddy from florida came out to CA and gave me an old reg and I took it in for its annual parts replacement. It was old but usable. However I had that reg cranked all the way in so it had the least airflow possible. I didnt know I did this when I went for my deep dive in my AOW class. Ended up with narcosis and a mini blackout as I was heavily exerting myself in deep very cold water with limited visibility. Monterey CA. Ballbusters is the location a couple miles from the Breakwater.

Since all that I had a car totalled and got a LOT more for it than it was worth. I bought all new all top of the line equipment. and I made sure I know it inside and out. I couldnt really afford the equipment but I know I will be using it regularly and id rather have better equipment than a nice car any day. Btw on some threads some people....some mods think im wanting to be this adventure danger diver. The hilarious truth is im the EXACT opposite. I will do whatever it takes to be the safest and most efficient diver I can be. I always check air, (not enough where you think im paranoid or worried) and I always keep any insta dive buddy very close for their safety. Sometimes that means I expend much more air as many of them run around finning like Aquaman at high speed like theres not a worry in the world if they get 50 yards away.

Anyway I think I answered your question lol

edit for clarification- Btw I am not an accident waiting to happen lol. My car was totalled parked in front of my complex. A drugged out couple in an old car ran into it at high speed in a 25mph zone and annihilated the front end.

@MJS1946 - please don't seriously think about throwing in the towel! Take a look at the number of dives these folks have logged since their first training incidents. I'm near 250 now - and the only real 'panic' moment I had after training came about from stressing over a too-tight 8/7 semi-dry suit that was hard to get on (and I haven't worn since - anyone want to buy it? It's a size 4 and I'll never fit into again anyway!!)

I do want to give you one quick word (ok, words) of advice. When we inhale we physiologically send our bodies the message to prepare for action (and your heart rate increases). When we exhale we physiologically send our bodies the message that it's ok to relax (and your heart rate decreases). This is why, in yoga, they have you focus on the out-breath. If you're feeling stressed/panicky, take a moment to empty your lungs (getting rid of the carbon monoxide) and then take a healthy in-breath to fill your lungs with oxygen-rich air. Your brain will thank you as you'll be able to think more clearly. Just the act of doing this will help to regulate your system as you focus on something other than your anxiety. Once your mind is refocused you will find that you still have a regulator in your mouth and that all the next 'right' things will be there for you to do.

(Doctors, EMTs, yoga instructors - feel free to correct and/or redefine my understanding of this process. I'm a counselor and not a medical professional or yoga guru.) :)

Interesting info on the outbreath for calming oneself. When I was on my deep dive and had narcosis and that feeling of impending doom, after the mini blackout, and after coughing into my reg for a while as it was out of my mouth, I slowly focused as hard as humanly possible on large deep slow breaths to recover while not moving at all. I had no idea that this is the exact best thing I could have done.

Also I had a 7 mil for monterey CA and on some days froze myself so went out and got an 8/7 Semidry and also a 1mil undergarment skin. I am ridiculously warm there now no matter how deep or long or how many dives.

Second follow up (not that anyone probably cares).... I completed my confined water dives (in one day yesterday. Now on to the OW in a couple of weeks in Oahu. So, I guess I’m over the jitters (I hope).

Second follow up (not that anyone probably cares).... I completed my confined water dives (in one day yesterday. Now on to the OW in a couple of weeks in Oahu. So, I guess I’m over the jitters (I hope).
Many here absolutely do care and will be pleased to here this. We love our sport and love to see others share the infection. Thanks for letting us know. Now watch the likes roll in for your post. Congrats!

@MJS1946 - woo hoo!!! You're over the hump! You're going to fall in love with warm, clear water. And we'll all be wishing we were with you. :)

I did my certification in Kawaii.

All the confined water was done in a quiet corner of what was actually a harbor (we saw a seal at one point while doing mask skills!), although we walked in from a beach. I did have the issue of the instinctive resistance to that first inhale when underwater... The other student couldn't get past that though (there were only two of us). She was there with her significant other who was already certified and watching from the beach. I don't know if she had been pressured into the training, but she was clearly very uncomfortable. And after more than an hour (or at least that's how long it felt) of trying to get her comfortable breathing, the instructor gave up and send her back to the beach (we were still in about 4-5 feet of water) and refunded her.

I then got the rest of the training one-on-one, which was great. But once I had gone through all the underwater skills I realized that that poor woman would have never have been able to complete them without panicking. I found it un-natural enough and I was having a great chilled zen day.

So I wasn't scared to death (just physically uncomfortable and having to override the natural instincts to panic). But I saw someone who was clearly not ready at all, and scared. And so once I was certified and taking the opportunity to dive in nice places, I only asked my wife if she was interested once. She said no, I didn't push it. No-one should be coerced into this kind of activity.

But if you really want to do it, fear can be overcome, even if it takes a lot of pool time to get comfortable. To echo a concern voiced earlier, the move to 'confined' water (like my training) doesn't help people who need more time to get comfortable. But doing everything on vacation (I had been on try-dives both in a pool and the sea over the years before, so had no concerns about my comfort level) is not a great idea. You have limited time and that pressure is unlikely to help. More time in the pool with calm and patient instructors is always good.

Back
Top Bottom