How many here are DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

since we are on the DIR subject. I don't know that I will ever go complete DIR(new diver), but some of it does make sense. How does the cost of back plate and wings compare to say a Zeagle Ranger. When I do buy equioment I won't need the ability to go to doubles, and I won't do caves, wreck penatration or deep dives. So if the cost of a ranger type BC is less that may be better(I do like the idea of back flotation).

G_M,

First of all, what is a "manelishi"? I've wondered that for a while now!

Back to the discussion- I was following you side by side until the solo diving part. I guess that's where I cut the cord. Too much can go wrong other than OOA and I sure would like someone there-even if they're non-Hogarthian. But that, I guess is a personal decision.

Yes, the DIR "method" pushes Halcyon, but you've got to admit, they make one great piece of equipment. In their case, you definately get what you pay for.

Definately try out the equipment before purchasing. Back inflation is great, but you need to make some adjustments to use it (ie. keel weights). It sure is nice not to have the "squeeze" put on every time you inflate!!

The nice thing about the backplate system is that you may not envision yourself going to doubles or stage bottles, but you do not have to make ANY changes (other than a larger wing) should you change your mind later. Try doing that with jacket style BC's!!

I do have every intention of trying different gear before I buy and I will try both back plate and wings and back inflae BC's. at this time I have ajacket BC

Now I understand why George gets the way he does, he has to explain it over and over and over.

For the sake of confusion let's just call it DIR, it's much easier to type than "The Hogarthian Style of Diving", from which the company Halcyon was born. To let divers have access to gear that suited this style of diving. Since none of the manufacturers would, "Necessity is the Mother if Invention".

As for the 7' hose, you can use a 5'hose on single tank diving. The purpose is not for caves but to be able to extend your primary 1st stage at full arms length to your buddy during an OOA situation and he/she is at a distance of 1 breath. Stretch your arm out and see what I mean. You can't do that with a "normal setup" And during a crisis 6" to a foot is a lot of difference.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, DIR is nothing more than what we were taught in the begining during ou OW class.
To be streamlined, no danglies, knowing where your buddy's releases, weights and octo is, plus the others. Like you said if you perform a buddy check on the surface before diving you will know that. Question..does it automatically be come instinct to you, I think not. If you are DIR it is, you don't have to stop and think during a crisis.

Look at today's typical jacket BC just how streamlined are they, you might as well have pillows strapped around you.
The Halcyon single tank wings lie flat against your body when not inflated and when inflated form a hydrodynamic shape. I used a Ranger for years until I started DIR, now I find it just cumbersome to wear. And to bring this up again,
just how many D-rings do you need, do you actually carry that much stuff on a dive, talk about task loading.

I am not going to try and convert any of you to this style of diving. Just defend it from the naysayers.

Better check out your stats again on the deaths, examples can be found in this forum on them. It is not technical diving that is causing deaths, it is untrained people trying to do something that they are not properly trained to do that is causing the deaths. OW divers going into caves without the proper training and equipment, doing deep dives on "air", read "The Last Dive".

Enough, I'm stepping down off of the soapbox for now.

ID

Don,

You said that perfectly.

Take Care,
Eric

I am a stoke and proud of it. Or you could say, I am a DID, or Do It Dennis. The DIR threads on most of the boards are mostly arguments :argue: about what DIR is or is not or should be or shouldn't be. We should all dive safe, dive fun and enjoy.

It seems to be fairly civil here. I like that because we should be able to discuss differences in a attempt to learn things.
As for DIR, I chose to learn from those who have the most knowledge in the sport of diving, and it's hard to argue with the WKPP and GUE and their accomplishments. There is simply no other organization on this earth that can do what they do routinely. The groups and their leaders didn't pull this stuff out of the air, but rather studied exhaustively through trial and error the best possible system FOR THEM.
Being a Great Lakes wreck diver, I found that the DIR system is absolutely awesome. Admittedly, I don't follow everything to the exact letter, but then I am not travelling 10,000' in a cave at an average depth of 300' either. I am a DIR proponent and enjoy helping others learn about it. It's fun to see someone dive in a DIR system for the first time -- it's like night an day.
I dive the same exact system whether it be in a deep wreck or a shallow reef with only relatively minor adjustment to equipment.
By diving with someone who also dives DIR, it is second nature to know his system. A predive scan of unfamiliar equipment isn't the same and doesn't envoke the same confidence. I certainly don't exclude myself from diving with a "non-DIR" diver, but I would selectively choose my dives with the person. One must understand that when extreme DIR divers say "don't dive with strokes" they are the guys who are doing extreme dives, and I can't blame them.

There's my intro. Dive safe.

Mike

I still have plenty of time before I make this purchase. I may end up with a back plate instead of the ranger, but for rec only is there a big price difference? What is the cost of the back plate set up for a single tank? I know the price range of the ranger. The longer hose does make sense but 5' may be better for rec diving, but I will decide that later. I like the idea of the octo around your neck so that you can reach down and get it with your mouth.

Friends,Divers,Those who enjoy soggy toast,

I dive therefore I am, therefore I am "Doing It Right" Can all who are "Doing it Wrong" (DIW) Please raise your keyboards.

Experience, Learn, Grow, Adapt (ELGA)

Is there anyother way?

Do we need DIR? Or are we all DIR according to skill level, Is my DIR your DIR??? If this was the case in all things would we ever have gotten to the moon? on 3 miles down??

Another two cents for ya (I am going broke)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom