How many here are DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all, I've just stumbled on this board, and it looks pretty decent. I'd like to see how many here share my interest in the DIR gear configuration and philosophy.

Later,

Mike

Hi Mike: I am fairly new to the board as well, I am a supporter of DIR. I see a lot of people don't agree but each has his own opinion. As long as people are discussing it I think maybe the light will turn on!!!

Welcome to the Board!

Zman

I share your interest in learning more about it. I'm still a relative newbie and started learning about DIR after finishing my OW and buying much of my first set of gear. I am a rec diver with no interest in cave or wreck penetration diving. That being said, I think many aspects of the DIR philosophy make sense....at the same time, some do not make sense for me and my typical diving profile. Of course, selective adoption of DIR techniques is probably frowned upon by more hard core DIR devotees.....but I have to make choices that make sense to ME.

Hi,

Just got my Halcyon rig. I'm partial DIR-a stroke as the religious might call it. IMHO, that term is about as demeaning as it gets.

I'm "DIR" in the broad sense of the term, i.e. my gear config is what is right for me. Other than that, DIR boils down to nothing more than a marketing slogan for Halcyon gear. There's nothing in the "philosophy" that you don't find in the training of any of the alphabet-soup dive agencies.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Hello all, I've just stumbled on this board, and it looks pretty decent. I'd like to see how many here share my interest in the DIR gear configuration and philosophy.

Later,

Mike

I will follow Greg on this one - I'm DIR as far as the streamlining and what works for goes...

I think is onto something - maybe the correct term for me is not that I'm a DIR diver, but that I appreciate and apply parts of the Hogarthian diving principles...

Ok, that's long -
Terkel

I dive the Hogarthian Philosophy or DIR, it's just DIR is so much easier to type.

Greg you are absolutely correct, except Halcyon is the only manufacturer to embrace what we have been taught. Surely one has to only look at the comparison in the different types of equipment to figure this out. This doesn't make anyone right or wrong just different.

Detroit Diver, Stroke as defind by G Irving, "Anyone with an unsafe attitude". Just because you don't dive entirely by the DIR guidelines doesn't make you a "Stroke".

But one thing all of you will have to admit, either Pro DIR or Anti Dir, is that there is no buddy system any better than this. All DIR divers know exactly what their DIR buddy's gear config consists of, no matter who they are, sight unseen. Can anybody else say that? If I call ericfine50 up on the phone and say "Let's go diving", I know exactly what his gear config. is. I also know what his attitude toward diving is. With some exceptions, makes the buddy check almost obsolete.

So to say this is just a "Marketing Hype" is not entirely true, Halcyon is just the people that fill the area that we were taught and the manufacturers refuse to. Kinda makes you wonder if the manufacturers dive or not.

ID

Hi all, I, like others, take what we need from all the systems out there, and fit it to our diving styles. I like to call it D.I.S. "Doing It Safe"
Cheers
o2diver

Back
Top Bottom