How many here are DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe in diving with what works for you in the situation you're diving in.

Don, I'm confused by your comment regarding knowing your buddies gear almost site unseen. That appears as a rather cavalier attitude to me.

Beyond subscribing to DIR as a philosophical approach, I believe the equipment mandate is only appropriate to a degree. I do not subscribe to the Halycon mantra that their gear is the only way to do DIR justice.

I am a novice diver. I admit that. I also admit that in the last year I've read more articles describing death among divers than your average diver, and have found some interesting patterns. Most fatalities appear to be "tech" divers pushing the limits. If you doubt that, do a search for "scuba diver fatalities experienced", and see how many articles you find where the dead diver was "an experienced" diver.

DIR was born out of pushing the limits and many of the DIR configuration changes appear to have come about subsequent to diver deaths.

I haven't seen any post mortem that specified whether the desceased was rigged "DIR", assuming one can be DIR and dead at the same time. That's a point worth discussing.

I don't mean to rant here, but it seems to me that I've been seeing a lot of discussion regarding DIR and I worry that many are getting too caught up with DIR as an equipment configuration rather than actually diving DIR and staying alive.

Lastly, I worry about DIR espoused as an end all, and some new divers getting sucked up in the gear configuration and then pushing beyond the limits of their training.

OK, that was a rant, but I feel better. I guess I'm on board with most of you here, and o2diver the most. Do it safe.

Complacency is the killer, no matter what your rig looks like.

Ok, maybe I'm being stupid here....but I'm assuming DIR stands for "doing it right??"

So, what does that mean? What are the guidelines? What do you have to have, equipment wise, to "do it right"?

DIR is indeed an abbreviation of Doing It Right. It is a method of kit configuration/philosophy/religion depending on who you talk to.

Check out http://www.gue.com (Global Underwater Explorers) for more details.

Just a word of warning. It is a "slightly" emotive topic :)

Almost DIR..
I have 2 extra D-rings and a ball on the pull dump string.

Brad

To "DIR" devotees, there is very little in the way of personal preference that is tolerated. The "Lords of DIR" are led by George Irvine and the WKPP; their standards are quite specific and rigid. It is almost odd, in a way, that "deviations" from the standards are not tolerated - indeed, you can find yourself the object of some pretty vitriolic diatribe should you propose or espouse one, while changes to the standard made by the in crowd aren't "deviations" but "advancements."
It is unfortunate they have co-opted the DIR term, as a more accurate term would be DIRATG "Doing It Right According To George."
As an example of how logic can get twisted to support a "DIR" concept, the 7 foot hose is a good one. Originally, the 7 ft. hose was an adaptation for single file air sharing through restrictions in wrecks or caves. The divers still maintained contact, the rear diver holding on to the leg of the lead diver. Clearly, in open water, single file isn't necessary, and with face-to-face contact possible at all times during the ascent, a shorter hose is not only acceptable, but desirable. The desire for "room" or "keeping the dangerous out of air diver at arm's length" are, in my opinion, just so much hooey - if that's your concern carry a detachable pony you can hand off and truly disconnect. A 7 foot hose serves no purpose in open water diving (I guess if I were selling regulators I'd like it, as the chances of getting a second stage stepped on or fouled with sand are increased tremendously with a nice long hose), and my 7 foot hose stays on for caves and wrecks only. On deep dives I carry redundant regs; for regular old recreational dives I use an intgrated air source connected to the power inflator.
So I am dicidedly *not* DIR most of the time, though I do feel I'm "doing it right" (and better than DIR) for any given dive. (If I were going to go on an exploratory cave dive, I would be rigged very, very close to "DIR")
Well, I've probably built a watch when you really just wanted to know what time it is...
Rick

DiverInAk

DIR is not buying Halcyon Gear or EE gear. At the moment, They are the ones who started the "DIR" philosphy and are pushing it. You can use Dive Rite, OMS, etc... But Don is correct that if you dive "DIR" you know where the other person's gear is. That is because it is always in the same place. Back up lights on the shoulder straps, canister on the hip, etc. It also means that you and your buddy are actually diving as a team.

Eric

Eric, I hate to say this, but if a buddy check is done prior to a dive you know where your buddy's gear is. Does this only get taught in George's Course? I hope not. As for OMS or Dive Rite, ETC you know as well as I do that you will get flamed for saying that you own any of that gear. It should all come down to the type of diving you do, and your comfort level you have aquired with your training and experience.
Not to sound as a flame, just tired of the marketing arm of the over expensive equipment sold on George's behalf, and the followers who slam everyone else.

Thats all I will say on the Subject now that I have that off of my chest.
Flame away.
o2diver

O2,

I agree with you. DIR is 100% marketing. What I meant was that each buddy pair is rigged the same and we both know that a lot of divers don't do buddy checks before each dive. And if you go to the Quest List, it is owned by them, so you are more likely to get flamed for using other types of gear. But, if email George off list, he is different and agrees that a backplate is a backplate is a backplate. When it comes to wings, I personally think the Halcyon (at this time) are the best out there. They are heavy duty and well made. That could change next week if another company came out with a better wing.

At least this list has not dropped to the level of Techdiver or caver :cool:

I will, perhaps, be vehemently dis-agreed with but here is
MY input:

Many of us (myself included) are HOGARTHIAN rather than DIR. DIR emphasizes much more than equipment
rigging and there is very little/no room for 'almost DIR'. As an example 'puters are NOT "DIR" so if you are using one you are NOT "DIR" regardless of your backplate etc. Similarly you can use all the correct equipment etc etc etc but if you solo dive you are NOT "DIR" because that is one of the strongest commandments of DIR ... NO SOLO DIVING. What I find ironic is a claim in a recent Rodale's that buddy diving is not always the safest and "here is why it should be allowed". Cripes, George, JJ etc have set some phenomenal records and they dive BUDDY ALL THE TIME; try
to convince them it is not always the best way to dive.

"hogarthian" is equipment rigging and DIR grew out of that in order to remedy some problems that a particular group
(wkpp) was encountering. they standardized procedures, equipment, attitude, etc and if you were not 'standard' you were NOT "DIR", if you were up to standards you were "DIR".

There are many better proponents and expositors of DIR than I and in a perfect world, with all-the-time-access to a DIR buddy i'd be "DIR" but until that time i am more of a "Hogarthian" than "DIR".

If you don't believe me, surf on over to http://www.diver.net/bbs
or http://www.diverlink.com or http://www.scubadiving.com and ask MHK if
there is an 'almost DIR'. If i am talking out my you-know-what he'll slap me down fast.

Is it possible to dive safely 'non-DIR'? Sure. it's also
possible to dive much MORE safely if you are "DIR".

anyway, HOWEVER you dive: do it smart and safely.

Back
Top Bottom