• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kind of funny:

Sometimes the hunter becomes the hunted. What a cool video.

Interesting but honestly I think the shark was hunting the tip of the spear gun.

After watching it about four times and analyzing with behavior modification in mind . If you watch the sequence of events , the diver inadvertently teaches the shark to associate the spear tip either directly with food or potential for food.

#1 The diver spears the lionfish which is trashing on the end of the spear
#2 The shark comes in and it sounds like hits the bucket
#3 The diver strarts trying to fend off the shark with the spear with the lionfish still on the tip ( sort of like jigging bait)
#4 The diver trys to put the fish in the capture bucket but the fish comes out. ( @ that point hard to tell but it looks like the shark may not see that the fish is out and gone )
#5 So logically shark continues to try to snap at the end of spear because it has now been taught to associate it with possibly producing a thrashing fish.

Actually the best news about that video is the sharks going for lion fish.

Wow, talk about sensational over hyping and misrepresentation of what happened! No shark attack an defiantly not shocking. Hunter spears fish. Shark senses dying fish struggling. Sharks job is to remove dying and dead carcasses from the water. Shark approaches and attempts to clean the ocean. Diver overreacts and waves dinner at the shark. Shark continues to investigate the end of the poll spear looking for the meal that was just there. Yawn,

Makes me wonder if DMs or others have been feeding the sharks lion fish for photo ops. ...

I was recently enjoying a video of someone's dives. To my dismay, it showed a dm feeding shark(s) off of his spear tip. (Not nurse sharks reef sharks) This practice must be stopped.

Here's the start of my hue and cry.

All marine critter interactions are pretty rare. I've been t-boned by a momma manatee. Cracked two ribs. It hurt like hell. She was protecting her calf from a possible predator in the water. Who am I to get all upset about that?

Wow, talk about sensational over hyping and misrepresentation of what happened! No shark attack an defiantly not shocking. Hunter spears fish. Shark senses dying fish struggling. Sharks job is to remove dying and dead carcasses from the water. Shark approaches and attempts to clean the ocean. Diver overreacts and waves dinner at the shark. Shark continues to investigate the end of the poll spear looking for the meal that was just there. Yawn,

I agree with your description of events….except for the "yawn", because…well, you could be wrong. … It may have been that one shark that was bold….or pissed off….and once glancing blow of a tooth….
You can honestly say that in that situation you would have yawned? And not been in a very defensive mode? Perhaps you served in combat and it takes a LOT to get you excited….. and you have my utmost respect. But personally, I would have been adrenaline pumped and like……."WHoOAAAAAAAAA". But I'm usually free diving and HAVE to make a fast ascent like that.

All marine critter interactions are pretty rare. I've been t-boned by a momma manatee. Cracked two ribs. It hurt like hell. She was protecting her calf from a possible predator in the water. Who am I to get all upset about that?
Having just spent a day in Kings Bay with them, how? They were so calm and swam up to us and flipped over on their backs for rubs.
How damn fast was the thing going?

Boy oh boy, bull shark encounters, manatee rodeo's, sounds like your dives are action packed. Can I come video (at a safe distance) :D ?

Kind of funny:

Sometimes the hunter becomes the hunted. What a cool video.

im actually pretty impressed. it looks like that shark pretty much dodged all the thrusts that guy made at him at close range. Makes me think they must not really like eating people because they can defiantly avoid getting hurt by use underwater. lets hope they never figure that out....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom