• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets hope they dont start..
Of course it was preventable and it also wouldnt stop me from scubadiving...

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

NSW don't cull sharks. It was dodgy circumstances either way you look at it. Multiple shark sightings for days, she was swimming in a group then fell behind and turned around to swim back by herself. Shark must have been peckish.
Sad though, but completely preventable without the need for culling.

Also not helped by the fact that some idiots appear to have been using the wharf where they started the swim from (a very good scuba diving site as well) to catch sharks. I saw a photo that appears to show them with a great white that they had caught. Probably using chum to attract the sharks as well.

Sadly, an australian woman who was out swimming was taken by a shark in new south wales today and "partial human remains" has been found..

The accounts I read earlier mentioned nothing about human remains being found and I questioned (based on that) whether it was indeed a shark. However, if this new (to me) information is correct, I'd probably have to agree that it was a shark-related death. Of course that does not change my opinion about the "value" of this shark culling program.

By the way, what do they do with the shark carcasses from the cull? Drop them in the ocean to attract other sharks?

Nice video, Pete!

My research has shown that the rate of attacks in Queensland increased after their drum lining /bait programs in 50s. Whether this is causal or correlational would remain to be seen. But one things for sure that they have had more shark deaths than WA without a program. Now my theory was that shark attacks would increase after the culling program. Simply because they are culling the wrong sharks...tigers, makos, blacktips. And when the migratory GWS comes in to the region during season and inspect whats going on.. the odd human engaging in higher risk water activity may suffer from the odd exploratory/mistaken identity bite. I premise this on evidence of human remains in nearly every related death. Foxfish of course would not understand that incidences are isolated. GWS are highly migratory between vast oceanic spaces. You might as well hedge your bets that one in South Africa right now may be in South Australia by winter.. therefore such preposterous notions are rendered not valid in the 'real world. In the delusional world thats another discussion...

This was a strange event. Gleened from TV reports and broadcast interviews with the husband. A group of people who regularly swim at this site including the woman and her husband were doing their "normal" 8am surface swim. They spotted a shark and turned back for shore. Nobody saw her "taken" by the shark. Partial human remains were found. Her goggles and some "swim gear" were recovered from the bottom where she was last seen. Husband states that "She died doing something she loved. It was so quick she didn't suffer. She wouldn't have known what hit her the was she was consumed" Probably words for his own comfort. Another case of a NON DIVER taken.

Police interviewed on TV said "an independent witness" saw a large shark swimming in the area at the time. Strange that they were talking about it being a Bronze Whaler Shark. I haven't heard of them being that dangerous:idk:

The most recent article on the shark attack in the local rag states the following:

Their anguish continued for several days before police divers finally found his body near the initial dive site.
Police are investigating whether shark bite marks found on his body caused his death.

The report implies that police have verified the human remains they found were those of the missing diver and the injuries or marks on the body were the result of shark bites ie. the man or his corpse was attacked by a shark(s).

The comments of family are telling and relevant to this thread.

As a child, Mr McGregor took any opportunity he could to be out in his family's dinghy.

Guided by his father Robin, Mr McGregor would soon exude a confidence on the water that makes his death all the more difficult for his family to understand.

That confidence also extended to his fearlessness of the ocean's deadliest inhabitants.

"He just didn't really think about - for him it was nothing," the sisters said.

"I don't think he ever factored in risks (of the sharks).

"For him, he was going diving and that was it."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/22571579/fond-memories-of-diver-michael/

Sounds familiar.

By the way, what do they do with the shark carcasses from the cull? Drop them in the ocean to attract other sharks?

I saw a Discovery Channel or Nat Geo show that suggested dead shark or shark parts may actually be a shark deterrent. From a boat they chummed in sharks using normal fish and fish parts etc. When a number of sharks appeared and were swimming around the boat, they dumped in some dead shark parts and in a hot second, all the sharks bugged out. Like they knew their own dead and didn't want any part of it.

The report implies that police have verified the human remains they found were those of the missing diver and the injuries or marks on the body were the result of shark bites ie. the man or his corpse was attacked by a shark(s).
Explain why you decided to turn a surface swimmer into a diver.

I think we all know the answer to that...

I think you are getting confused with another incident. The one referred to above was indeed a diver who failed to surface: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-diver-missing-near-mandurah-australia-2.html

Wingy's reponse to Foxfish pretty much sums things up as they stand currently... anything else is pure speculation until a coroners report is released but in my opinion what is most likely to have happened is that he became stuck under a ledge or in a hole, then found some days later by which time there had been shark bite injuries inflicted.

You won't hear that from Foxfish though... after all, our caves and swimthroughs are harmless, and sharks are all deadly maneaters.

All that aside, what a sad incident for the family. My condolences to them, RIP Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom