• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

13 foot white is just an adolescent, though, isn't it? I mean these things get near 20 feet long, don't they? At least let them get a baby or two in the water before blowing them up...

wouldn't this make it more dangerous to swim with sharks since they could blow up at any time? :D

I will be in Australia for a month now next Nov -ish. We will be avoiding w. Australia completely and spending our money in the other provinces, specifically because of these bait lines.

Foxfish - you made this thread to add fuel to the fear fire on the culling subject. Originally the answers were extremely biased. So, yes, debate on culling is definitely within the parameters of this thread.

As for you eating definition posted a bit back, I guess we have man-eating garter snakes up here. They bite me all the time.

I have to agree yet somewhat disagree. I think in point of fact Foxfish has served a very important purpose in the context of this thread. Honestly I think it is irrelevant as to weather he is is actually a diver. His importance here is a clear if somewhat extreme example, to highlight and illustrate the incongruous and intrenched old school status quo mindset.

It is founded in 1000 year old, firmly held belief system, a socio cultural, religious, political and economic view, that everything on the planet is only useful in so far as it serves the needs and wants of humans.

That humans "must" by simple virtue of either superior congnitive development or religious edict, have a dominance role to play. Even though the practice of that dominance may ultimately serve to undo itself.

For a human to even consider placing any thing or any other interests equal to or above those immediate needs and wants is considered heresy. No mater how logical or scientifically sound.

New objective thinking or views cannot be considered , because to do is uncomfortable and begins to question some fundamental underpinnings that make such a view possible.

Thus those who do hold such a belief system may actually have no ability to self reflect as to the agenda driven nature of their perspective. Completely beyond their grasp is the possible hypocrisy or inconsistency of some of their own beliefs, perspective and assertions .

Thus they can be quite comfortable resorting to tactics such as disparaging remarks, ad hominem attack and clinging to dismissive labeling.

The benefit for the rest of us not languishing under such restriction, while attempting to bring objectivity to discussion, is to become informed as to exactly what we may encounter in dealing with the intractable nature of what is still a significant and entrenched perspective.

Or perhaps he is simply a troll stirring the pot :idk: :rofl3: , accidentally serving a purpose. :confused:

Yes some worthwhile information has been shared and some GREAT ENTERTAINMENT altho I am not sure that was the OP's original intent:idk:

Nay nay ... Foxfish serves an important niche in the ecological balance of ScubaBoard. Banning him would be the social equivalent of culling sharks because they make certain people uncomfortable. One may choose to avoid the waters he inhabits, but he has as much right to be here as we all do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It takes all kinds to keep a community interesting and invigorating:) Just because someone doesn't agree with our views doesn't mean they don't deserve to belong:)

Good point, and will admit that some of his posting has been at least borderline trolling. However, he does generally seem to believe in his position, and my interpretation of trolling is that it involves posting things that you generally don't believe for the purpose of making people angry. The cyclic arguments being made could be interpreted as trolling since it seems these threads get to a point where people are starting to ignore him, and he starts back in on the same old stuff.

Either way (and to be clear, I don't speak for ScubaBoard or any other members) I personally prefer a don't feed the troll response over a ban the troll response.

Seems that if people continue to post something is happening to keep their interest. Good point the Ignore function is always an option or Unsubscribe to Thread option if you don't want to go that far! Yes it can be difficult to draw the line between Trolling and someone who believes in and is fixated on an unpopular opinion. When it is borderline and there is this much voluntary interest:idk: Of course the other thing to be said is Foxfish has remained civil....

wouldn't this make it more dangerous to swim with sharks since they could blow up at any time? :D

OMG an ocean full of Man-eathing exploding sharks:fear: Perhaps they things could be set so they only explode below scuba depth limits

... I remember my shark encounter with TSandM a few years back ... her first, I believe. It was so scary our friend Jan Kocian drew this to mark the occasion ...

sixgillcart2.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Love the pic Bob:)

I'm voting for karma. All of Foxfish's talk about shark culling may just turn around and bite him in the behind the next time he gets in the water. :) They may cull him!

Oops. Just thought this tracking might show there's little point in culling. Or that this shark is looking for Foxfish! :O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom