• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How many fatal shark attacks to stop you diving

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Foxfish, Feb 18, 2014.

How many fatal attacks in an area to deter you from diving

Poll closed Mar 20, 2014.
  1. 1 per year

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. 2 per year

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. 6 per year. One every second month.

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. 12 per year. One every month.

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 1 every week

25 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

89 vote(s)
    42.0%
  7. I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

61 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Good one. But this pic. may also be a S. Floridian's view of the "tundra" (panhandle).

2. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Here is a very brief marine biology lesson that might be helpful here.

A balanced ecosystem is very important. It begins with the primary producers that turn inorganic matter into organic matter that animals eat, and those animals area in turn eaten by other animals.

oceanfoodweb.jpg

Predators play a very important role in maintaining that balance. Read here how the near extinction of the sea otter from the California and Oregon coasts has disrupted the ecology and brought great harm to the area. We killed the sea otter to near extinction so that we could make otter skin coats.

A key predator throughout the world is the shark. Some of the articles below explain why. In the past decades, we have devastated the world's shark population so that people can have shark fin soup. What Foxfish is proposing is that divers call for killing even more of them and creating even further harm to the ecosystem because a handful of scuba divers (no more than that) have been killed or injured by sharks since Cousteau started using scuba in the 1940s.

Why are sharks important?
    Why We Need Sharks
    Shark Savers :: Sharks' Role in the Ocean
    The Wonders of the Seas: Sharks
    Threats to Sharks Destabilize Entire Ecosystems - Scientific American

3. 00wabbit

00wabbit Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    But sharks are scary and I'm a self-entitled terrestrial primate that wants to go where they are.

drrich2 likes this.
  4. scubastingray

scubastingray Solo Diver

I don't think it's even a matter of being a self-entitled primate; it's not a green/environmental issue.

It's the issue of someone not recognizing a childish paranoia as such.

chillyinCanada, Wingy and Jim Lapenta like this.
  5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    BINGO! WE have a winnah!

bear.jpg
    Hope foxfish don't move to Alaska! Mr Bear won't be smiling then.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Tigerman, tridacna and scubastingray like this.
  6. KevWind

KevWind Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yes indeed Tacos made even tastier when seasoned with cayenne pepper !!!

And on Kodiak they like to throw in a bit of fisherman flavor just for a change.
    [​IMG]

7. Foxfish

Foxfish Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Another area where there has been numerous shark attacks in recent years is Reunion Islands off the coast of South Africa. The risk of a shark attack is considered excessively high for those entering the water. In one tragic case, a 15 year old girl was chopped in half while swimming a few metres off shore.

This article provides a description of the various attacks. It describes how the local people and local authorities decided the risk of shark attack was so high they needed to take steps to mitigate the risk. The number of shark attacks were the indicators of the level of risk driving the decisions being made - the same kind used on the poll in this thread.

Shark bites 15-year-old French girl in half metres from shore on Reunion Island | News.com.au

An account from a slightly different perspective. The risk of attack by the bull sharks in the area was cause for concern to divers who entered the water to recover the body in spite of wearing Sharkshields. Apparently they hadn't heard of Netdoc method of using bubbles to deter the sharks. Then again maybe they knew better.

Shark Attacks in a Surfers' Paradise

Another article that provides a detailed description of the measures used to mitigate the risk of shark attack. The locals evidently believed that the risk of shark attack was excessively high.

Big Read: Reunion Island beset by shark controversy | News.com.au

Th article goes on to highlight the opposition from Greeny groups to the risk mitigation measures, and the response of the locals.

8. scubastingray

scubastingray Solo Diver

I'm not sure why I keep coming back and expecting something different.

[​IMG]

shoredivr, rhwestfall and Wingy like this.
  9. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You just don't get it, Foxfish. You keep posting about non-divers getting attacked in a site for SCUBA divers. I agree that there are places where I wouldn't not surface swim, surf, kayak or paddleboard but would dive. And there are a few places (but relatively few) where I might not SCUBA Dive either.

The reaction of the surfer (Nativel) in the last Reunion quote is appalling. If one ventures into the water to pursue an activity, one should acknowledge the risks. What are we supposed to do? Remove every apex predator (and probably poisonous critters) from every ecosystem in the world? What an ecological mess that would leave.

MMM, shoredivr, rhwestfall and 5 others like this.
  10. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The demise of sharks from the oceans might very be the beginning of our own demise, spiritually, culturally and physically.

Jim Lapenta likes this.