How many dives to be a PADI scuba instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, do you have the same concern about a DM or an Instructor NOT using their own gear?

I do not use my own gear at all when teaching Confined Water. I use the same gear that is on the side of the pool deck as the students use. How would they even know I own my own gear? I take the a BCD, regulators, etc. off the same rack that the students do.

I am not trying to be confrontational, just trying to see your frame of reference.

As to generalities...I have yet to see much in the way of Instructors, DM/guides that I know miss-treat loaner/rental/demo gear.

There's a difference in DM/guides and instructors, yes. And there's a bigger difference between not owning and not using your own gear. I didn't always use my own gear when I was guiding/DMing.....but I owned my own gear. Making a purchase decision is a sign of taking a hobby seriously. For example, my wife is taking flying lessons. One CFI has only ever rented planes, another has owned 6 throughout their career. Who do you think is more serious about that hobby? Who do you think the better instructor was? It's certainly not a requirement in flying (plane purchases being $30k versus $1k).....but is an indicator of dedication. A local DM around here didn't own any scuba gear because they spent their money on paintball. He didn't take diving seriously. Once I saw him in the water and in the classroom, I realized that he was a bad diver and a poor instructor. Diving was simply a means to a paycheck, not a passion.

As for treatment of loaner/rental/demo gear...I don't often see it mistreated, but I VERY often see people treat their own gear much more gingerly and carefully. A lot more care is taken with personal gear.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2015 at 11:30 AM ----------

imagine if you were a student and asked your instructor "what kind of gear do you have" and they said "Me... oh I don't actually own any gear."

Imagine that person trying to sell you gear for YOU to use.

Problem with "preferably in different areas and conditions" is the person may not be able to do this for financial or other reasons. As I suggested, lots of experience in the place you are going to teach counts most to me.

Problem with even DMing 6 OW classes per year in the North is that this may depend on location and such things as how many classes are offered each year by the shop and how many DMs are on staff that all want them.

I don't see either as problems.
In the first case it would be preferable to have a candidate that has experience with places, conditions and depths other than the local mudhole. This brings in to the class more and vaired information to the student they might need should they travel. If one is not available or can not pass the other standards, you pick the best candidate.
In the second case, the candidate might have to travel and work elsewhere to meet the requirements. If there are "too many DM's on the staff", no wonder they get paid little or nothing for their work.

Aside from having a more experienced candidate, it would take a more dedicated candidate to complete the requirements. In the long run you could produce actual "Dive Professionals" who would be able to make a living in the dive business, which now is surviving on free labor. In the long run, with professionals on the job, the dive industry may start running as a business, rather than a hobby.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain."
Brian Griffin

Imagine that person trying to sell you gear for YOU to use.

Well if you're going to change the discussion from "requirements to be an instructor" to "requirements to be a retail sales associate" that's different. But not much. Does someone in sales (of anything) need to own one of everything in the store in order to be able to sell it? How could a person who owns one specific set of gear possibly compare it to - or discuss - any other gear if they didn't own that set of gear as well?

Last edited:
Well if you're going to change the discussion from "requirements to be an instructor" to "requirements to be a retail sales associate" that's different. But not much. Does someone in sales (of anything) need to own one of everything in the store in order to be able to sell it? How could a person who owns one specific set of gear possibly compare it to - or discuss - any other gear if they didn't own that set of gear as well?

IMHO, it really depends on what you are selling. When I first became certified, the option of a wing was never even brought up as an option. I went through 2 jacket style BCD's before I finally figured out that the wing was really what I wanted. A sales associate might be able to rattle off company-provided specs, but someone with experience in the real-world might say "Hey, I went with this because..."

Regardless, the issue isn't really equipment. The issue is experience with diving in multiple conditions and being able to relay experience in an educational environment.

The requirements to become a Dive Instructor with PADI are laughable and no more demanding in any other organization. Fortunately, in my experience, many of the individuals seeking certification FAR exceed the minimum requirements.

Oddly though, it's really always been like this. I became a NAUI instructor in 1978, and if I recall correctly, the requirement then was similar... 100 dives, an AI certification, CPR and First Aid certifications and I think that was about it. At the time, I think I had logged about 400 dives, but then I was the guy who landed a job as a "commercial diver" after 8 dives in my life!

Long, long ago, I came to the conclusion that diving isn't nearly as scary and dangerous as we all think it is! If it was, the beaches would be littered with rubber-clad corpses. Let's face it, this is really all you need to dive safely at a recreational level:

1) NEVER hold your breath
2) Clear you ears early and often
3) Follow your computers directions, and take a peek at your SPG now and again.
4) Don't dive if you've been drinking, consuming recreational pharmaceuticals or herbal alternatives.
5) Use common sense. If I dive strikes you as a bad idea, it probably is.

The rest, you should be able to figure it out as you go.

The End.

Last edited:
I don't see either as problems.
In the first case it would be preferable to have a candidate that has experience with places, conditions and depths other than the local mudhole. This brings in to the class more and vaired information to the student they might need should they travel. If one is not available or can not pass the other standards, you pick the best candidate.
In the second case, the candidate might have to travel and work elsewhere to meet the requirements. If there are "too many DM's on the staff", no wonder they get paid little or nothing for their work.

Aside from having a more experienced candidate, it would take a more dedicated candidate to complete the requirements. In the long run you could produce actual "Dive Professionals" who would be able to make a living in the dive business, which now is surviving on free labor. In the long run, with professionals on the job, the dive industry may start running as a business, rather than a hobby.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain."
Brian Griffin
Point taken on being able to at least give general advice on other locations. I guess you could ask how much varied experience (in different places) would is desirable, or should be required. Though I agree to a point on this, I would think one could research conditions/dive procedures/exposure suits before doing a trip.

Agree there are too many DMs and instructors. Some DMs do get paid to assist classes, others at times to do charters.

On the owning own gear issue, what do pros that don't own do when pleasure diving--rent all the time? I doubt most shops would extend the free air deal to free use of shop equipment for your personal dives.

On the owning own gear issue, what do pros that don't own do when pleasure diving--rent all the time? I doubt most shops would extend the free air deal to free use of shop equipment for your personal dives.

You'd be surprised, then. If it's not out for rental... why not?

Back
Top Bottom