• 200-299

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 300-499

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 500+

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So now that 2019 comes to an end, how many dives did you manage throughout the year?

Let us know:
  • whether you usually dive at home or on vacation
  • predominantly rec or tech
  • as a hobby or professionally
  • how many you are aiming for and how the year's diving turned out for you
  • what your highlight was

I'll end up with 35 dives only, 32 at home (22 boat and 10 shore dives) and 3 boat dives during a spontaneous weekend trip to the GBR. All recreational hobby dives. I generally aim for 2 dives per fortnight on average (call it 50 a year) but have to blame a lot of non-diving overseas and domestic travel, as well as a lot of cancelled boats due to conditions, for falling short of that goal. I missed a lot of the best diving during winter by being away and the start of summer has been generally messed up by winds that ruin visibility and surface conditions. All in all, I still remember a few great dives and my highlight would have to be a dive at Julian Rocks (off Byron Bay, NSW, Australia) back in May with good visibility and two large mantas circling around us for a long time, coming within arm's reach, the bottom littered with nurse and wobbegong sharks.

Dive year-round here in Seattle, but the year's not done!

Did this in another thread. My 41 dives are a low in recent years. Have done as many as 80, but health and other reasons have recently prevented that. I'm at 802 total and do 2 each month until May here. Hope to reach 1K before I'm 70....
Winter diving in Nova Scotia is not fun diving wet in 40F water or way less and feezing air temps.
I'll cut most of that crap out when I reach 1K.

Since my refresher in October I have been working on my Sea Days for Masters License and dive a couple days a week usually. So about 30 dives in the last couple of months. The dive boat sails from just across the street :yeahbaby:

All recreational, highlight was actually out of the water during surface interval when. a big tiger cruised the boat. First vacation dive will be. early next month. On Kauai LOL

I’m at 250. My 200th was in early June. I’d say 60-65 this year. Got blown out on Lake Michigan many times from the middle of August to early October. Weather was just horrible. High winds and storms. Quality over quantity this year.

All rec dives - for now.

Lots of local Lake Michigan dives, but also Straits of Mackinac and Tobermory, and Lake Huron off Sanilac, MI. The Straits were just awesome.

So now that 2019 comes to an end, how many dives did you manage throughout the year?

Let us know:
  • whether you usually dive at home or on vacation
  • predominantly rec or tech
  • as a hobby or professionally
  • how many you are aiming for and how the year's diving turned out for you
  • what your highlight was

great post! Vacation dives only, recreational, hobby. I aim for two big trips a year that last about a month and try to dive as much as I can. 80-some dives per trip is what I averaged per trip this time. Highlight was returning to Raja Ampat as well as Komodo. In Komodo, I had 15+ mantas in the current with me for 30 minutes as I was reef hooked in until I had to go up. We had a full charter on a liveaboard and we had the whole area and dive site to ourselves. There were no other boats that day. It was amazing!

Somewhere north of 75 this year. Mostly near home in the freshwater springs, sinks and caves, however I did get in some salt water diving in West Palm, Brisbane, and Honolulu.

Planning a trip to Mexico for early 2020! :)

101. I haven't dived in five weeks, which might be a record for being dry without a cast on my leg. We've had a really dirty algal bloom since April and the waves have stirred everything up for the past month. Other than two weeks in British Columbia, a couple of good weeks in April and two nice dives off Catalina Island, this has been one of the worst years for local diving.

I have a two week trip to the Galapagos next month followed by two more weeks in British Columbia in March. I'm hoping 2020 will be a better year.

Year ain’t over yet.

Diving tomorrow.

110 dives. 46 were local dives in Monterey, 27 from a trip to Kona in March, and the remaining 37 from a trip to Puerto Galera in July. All dives were recreational hobby dives.

I'd only been certified for 3 months when 2019 started, so my nebulous goal was to just dive as much as I could. Given that I don't have a car and basically had to hitch rides for all my local dives, I'm fairly happy with how much diving I got done this year. I do wish that I'd been able to fit in a few more dives in the last quarter of the year, but my drysuit was stuck in the Scubatude repair queue for 7 weeks, which made me lean towards sleeping in instead of diving in a rental suit for some of the weekends when conditions were marginal. I also won't be diving for the last few weeks of the year because I'm visiting my non-diving family members near Toronto.

A highlight for me was that I got into underwater photography and managed to get good enough to take shots I wouldn't mind blowing up and hanging on my wall. I guess it was a bit of a lowlight for my wallet though, because I could probably buy another two or three sets of all my other dive gear for the price of my camera rig...

Goals for 2020:
  • Upgrade my Fundies provisional to a full rec pass
  • Get trained and switch over to a set of doubles for local diving
  • Focus a little more on quality over quantity of dives, with a target of 80ish for the year. To that end, I've booked a trip to Cozumel in April, and will likely do another trip (destination TBD) sometime later in the year as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom