How many dive cylinders do you currently own ? [Poll]

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

• Zero cylinders.

Votes: 41 11.9%
  • 1-2 cylinders

Votes: 50 14.5%
  • 3-4 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 5-6 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 7-8 cylinders

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • More then 8 cylinders.

Votes: 132 38.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do those who own 12 and more cylinders: where do you store them all ?

Most are on a large dolly I made with framed sides so the tanks can be secured and moved around as a unit. They live in the garage. At some point I want to buy a dive trailer, and then most will live in the trailer.

They live in the garage.

Here in Montreal, the temperature will vary from Plus 30 Celsius to Minus 30 Celsius in a span of six months. Keeping cylinders in a garage (the garage is not heated), will these extremes of temperature have any significant impact on factors like corrosion of a tank made of steel ?

Here in Montreal, the temperature will vary from Plus 30 Celsius to Minus 30 Celsius in a span of six months. Keeping cylinders in a garage (the garage is not heated), will these extremes of temperature have any significant impact on factors like corrosion of a tank made of steel ?

My garage is attached and rarely drops much below 10C/50F even in the winter. But, no, corrosion should not be an issue even when I move them to a trailer outside. Most of them are galvanized and I keep the paint touched up on the ones that aren't. All are stored pressurized, without exception.

corrosion - no. I have, however, had cylinders drain when it got cold and the seats leaked....

I now plug them for winter storage....

Mine live happy 1200km north of you, haven't seen any unusually maintenance issues. As noted up thread, sometimes they can lose seal when they freeze. Mine haven't, not sure the reason why not.

Some live at various dive buddy's houses too though down in your area. Most are in my car at the moment, needing filled.

Cameron

3 x faber 12.2 standard length, preferred cylinder
1 x faber 12.2 stumpy, because I got it cheap, but would on sell if I ever get around to buying a standard length
1x 72 cu ft steel I use for a spare if one of the others is in for test
1x 80 cu ft aluminium

This allows my partner and myself to do two dives, we can spread annual testing out over a year and till have 4 tanks to do double dives when the urge hits

2x 12l 232bar normal tanks for everyday use 1 is o2 clean for nitrox
2x 15l 232bar both o2 clean for nitrox use there for longer dives in the 20m range.

2x twin 12s one with nitrox the other with trimix

7l alu stage
11l alu stage

1.5l suit inflation (this years christmas present off wife)

Currently
2 X 130 cu ft
3 X 119 cu ft
3 X 100 cu ft
1 X 40 cu ft deco bottle
1 X 23 cu ft O2 bottle

In the past I've had lots of doubles with 120s, 95s and steel 80s, single 95s, other deco bottles, aluminum 80s, aluminum 100s and more than a dozen steel 72s.

Back
Top Bottom