How many days in Dauin with this itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello SB
I am planning to spend November around the Visayas and Luzon/Mindoro and am leaning towards Dauin (first time) and return visits to Alona, Anilao and Puerto Galera. I was thinking of Malapascua which I enjoyed but it takes the most time to get to.

If I land in Cebu at noon, is it possible to get to Dauin the same day or should I overnight in Cebu and fly to Dumaguete the next morning? I haven't picked a hotel or dive op yet but was looking at Mikes, Bongo2, Baki, Azure. Yes, all over the map pricewise...

I really like macro and would like to get to Apo Island while there. Would 4-6 days suffice?

After that, I would ferry to Tagbilaran and dive around Panglao for another 5 days or so before flying to Manila to head to Puerto Galera and Anilao. I was in both last November and want to go back. I had to cut a few days in Anilao so only had three dive days there. I don't think that was enough time. Maybe 5 days in each.

Are there other areas I should consider in the vicinity? I have been to Moalboal and Oslob doesn't really interest me.

Thanks

1. You should be able to do that without any problem. Bus + Ferry or direct ferry via Tag.
2. Southern Leyte but if Malapascua is too time consuming then this one is worst.
3. Sipalay after Dauin. It is on the same island. Exit from Bacolod to Manila.

1. You should be able to do that without any problem. Bus + Ferry or direct ferry via Tag.
2. Southern Leyte but if Malapascua is too time consuming then this one is worst.
3. Sipalay after Dauin. It is on the same island. Exit from Bacolod to Manila.
Skip Panglao for Sipilay?

Road trip from Cebu to Dauin takes about 5hrs with a private car or a bus, depending on the traffic and the Liloan/Duma barge schedule.
I am trying to remember the answer at your price question with Azure. Probably a little more than Mike's for the lodging and equivalent for the dives, but their guides are really top (they were first recommended to me by Snoopy and this man can't be wrong on anything about diving in Dauin.).
If Macro is your main concern, I wasn't impressed with the macro in Sipalay, many Elysia and Aplysia nudis and not much else for the rest, I find Alona much more varied in that respect (and for the Okenia nakamotoensis or Kendoi). On the other hand the deep dives were good there with a lot of fishlife.
Anda on Bohol was a real disappointment very mundane reefs despite all the advertizing and buzz they want to create as an alternative to Alona, the white sand macro is two steps below Dauin.
You should forget Siquijor as well.
There's supposed to be "some" diving in Santander/Liloan at the southern tip of Cebu, cant say... probably the Moalboal type with more current and without the sardines. (posh Emoha dive resort or smaller ones South Seas, Neptune)

Bus from Cebu, if you want to fly you most likely will have to go to Manila and change planes. It should only cost less than $US 10.

Many destinations in the Philippines only fly to and from these two hubs so flying between two cities a short distance away can be an all all trip to to to Cebu or Manila.

You should definatly fly to dumaguete. Bus and ferry is a pain in the ass. There is flights from cebu morning, afternoon and night.

I often spend 10 days stretches in Dauin. I have 2-3 days of boring diving out of those 10 days.

Apo island is really nice, but I prefer muck diving. If you like nudis, try to go to Orica Pier dive site. Its amazing.

I agree with Luko that diving in Sipalay is rather meeh. It's a five hour bus ride from Bacolod or Dumaguete (I've done both)--I loved my diving at Panglao---Balicasag---some of the clearest water I've dived in on all my trips to the Philippines. Don't let others throw you off Panglao with how touristy it is--it is---but I'm diving not partying all day and night. Anda is not worth the trip if you're going just for the diving--now if you want to kick back and just relax well it's a great place for that. Love my Dauin and Mikes Beach resort. I'm not a big fan of their western food (except breakfast--yum)--just not quite right--but it's a short walk into town or next door to another resort for other options if that's a concern. Not a big macro fan but I'm coming around and enjoying my dives off Dauin more each trip. That combined with Apo Island and I'm a happy camper. I like and enjoy the guides at Mikes too and have become pretty good friends with them. My favorite guide Gabby was sidelined because of a motorcycle accident this past year and couldn't dive while I was there. Mikes kept him on to work and help with anything that needed done around the resort until he can get back in the water--nice call. I just finished my fourth dive trip to Mikes this past December and will be back for number five this coming June. Prices for the rooms at Mikes are middle of the road and I just like the vibe there--but never having stayed at any other resorts in Dauin I really have no base for comparison. Oh and the water temp in both November and December has always been around 27 to 28 C--have always dived in a 3mm shorty there and probably didn't need that.

Panglao was very nice yrs ago, very rustic etc etc.
Good diving at Balicasag but the permit is the main issue.

If you are flying from Manila then you should fly directly to Dumaguete instead of Cebu.
If you are flying from Manila then you should consider the flight to Tacloban and onward to Southern Leyte.

There are direct flights from Cebu to Dumaguete. Am I crazy to think I’d be able to grab an early evening/evening flight if my schedule international flights is scheduled to land at 11:30am?

There are direct flights from Cebu to Dumaguete. Am I crazy to think I’d be able to grab an early evening/evening flight if my schedule international flights is scheduled to land at 11:30am?
Check out Cebu Pacific airlines and Philippine airlines website--it's only a 15 minute flight at most. If you're going to go to Alona (Bohol)--go there first. A quick ferry to Tagbilaron (Bohol) from Cebu and then you can take a direct ferry from Bohol to Dumaguete---I've done it the opposite way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom