How many countries have you lived in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UK (Scotland and England), United States of America (Republic of California and The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico), Canada (Quebec - je me souviens)

Lived 1st 23 years in U.S. Last 34 years in Canada. So in winter I leave the country I live in to snowbird in the one I was born in. Each summer I visit 2 countries-- U.S. and New Jersey.

Reactions: Jax
Including the United States, I have lived in four countries and one special administrative region.

If working in a country for weeks or months qualifies as living, then 6 although I have never really been a true expat in reality as I still maintained a residence in the US.
Residence has multiple meanings. I have a house, mailbox, and phone number in the States, but I am a resident of HK, as evidenced by my resident visa and HK identification card.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who make a border run every 45 days (or whatever it is) when their tourist visa expires and live that way for extended periods of time without ever getting a resident visa. Singapore used to tolerate this, though I doubt they still do, and I think Thailand will let it slide.

My definition of a true resident? You own your own bed linens. I have lived in serviced apartments and hotels for years (in aggregate), but it is only when you surrender that temporary frame of mind that you truly become a resident. It took me almost a year to move out of the serviced apartment and furnish my own place here in HK. I never did it in London or Shanghai.

Sometimes since I moved to Texas I feel like I am, but that's just me.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd feel like a resident alien in Texas too.

lived in the US, Canada, Mexico and have also worked in at least 12 other countries.

Well, I backpacked Australia 1.5 years, New Zealand 6 months, and Fiji 2 months when I was young... Worked or lived in the USA for to fricken long, Israel 6 months, Germany 4 years, Sicily 4 months, Mexico 5 months, Taiwan 3 months, Korea 2 years, India 3 months, Netherlands 3 months, France 8 months, and Japan 6 months...

lee

One country, one province, and three towns. I am currently residing in my first apartment my second year away from home. I love being independent.

Each summer I visit 2 countries-- U.S. and New Jersey.

I've lived in 2 countries.

England and Texas. :D

Reminds me of the old joke - during the cold war a Repblican politican (whose name I forget) was asked if he had ever visited a communist state. "Just one," he replied. "Massachusetts."

Excluding short business trips just for meetings I've lived or carried out work assignments in: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Italy (Mainland and Sicily), Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Spain (Mainland, Canary Islands and Balearics), Sweden, UK, USA and Venezuela.
I've now lived outside my home country over twice as long as I lived in it which is probably why I sometimes feel like a foreigner when I go back on holidays to visit family.

I have maintained a residence with all of my own furniture and appliances and obtained various official bits of documentation (such as driver's licenses, work permits, and library cards) in six different countries on four continents. I have visited dozens of countries both for work and pleasure, and this doesn't include ones I've only passed through in transit or spent only a fleeting amount of time in. I have dived in twelve countries.

Canada
Pakistan
United Arab Emirates
USA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom