How Low (psi) Can You Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikiedfd17

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've heard lots of word on the reasons for not pumping tanks up too high but what about how low should you let your tanks go. . . Is 500psi too low, is 100psi too low? What would you consider too low to store your tank at? Obviously I'm not talking about surfacing from a dive with 100psi but what if you decided to use ur gear for pool maintenance for example. . . - just curious.

Mike :)

you never want your tanks to get to zero doing so most times requires you to get a VIP . . . because moisture can and will get down into your tanks, this is why most shops even tanks that are on display have at least a couple hundred pounds in them

We have a pool guy at our shop who regurally sucks his tanks to zero. . . so basically he gets a VIP every month. . .

It depends on your depth and the reg you're using. I once did an experiment (on the surface) with and older and a newer reg and difference in performance at low tank pressures was significant. With the newer reg performance remained stable until the tank was so empty that I could open the valve and blow air back into the tank with my mouth.

R..

If you're talking about how low to store it, just store it full. You can't use it if it's empty. If you need to store it until you can get in for a fill, I'd leave at least 300psi in it. Some SPGs lose accuracy in the lower ranges of pressure. 100psi may be less if your spg is one of those.

For storage, anything above ambient is fine...be it 50 psi or 300 psi, the water stays out just as well. But you might as well store them full so you can go diving without having to get a fill.

teknitroxdiver:
For storage, anything above ambient is fine...be it 50 psi or 300 psi, the water stays out just as well. But you might as well store them full so you can go diving without having to get a fill.

Suggestion, don't store them half full. If tanks caught in fire, the 50-300psi will never expand enough to cause a bursting problem. A full tank will cause the burst disk to rupture before the tank itself is compromised by the heat. A half full tank especially aluminum, the metal will be compromised before the pressure is enough to rupture burst disk and the first thing to rupture will be the tank itself.

(so I have been told)

DEEPLOU:
Suggestion, don't store them half full. If tanks caught in fire, the 50-300psi will never expand enough to cause a bursting problem. A full tank will cause the burst disk to rupture before the tank itself is compromised by the heat. A half full tank especially aluminum, the metal will be compromised before the pressure is enough to rupture burst disk and the first thing to rupture will be the tank itself.

(so I have been told)

lets start a new thread wonder if we put scuba cylinders in a fire what would happen :)

I read a while back about an interesting fire at a dive shop.
There were plenty of cylinders that were full and one that was empty. The full tanks had their burst discs blow; the empty tank exploded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom