How long will it take me to learn to do one breath hold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing too...try to face the bottom of the pool instead of say, looking forward to your goal. Kinda helps with the mental aspect of it.

What stroke are you doing to do this anyway? Breaststroke is probably the only way I see in doing this effectively.

SparticleBrane:
The ^^ means I'm addressing the post two posts above mine--thus, asking froop about his hyperventilation habits. :wink: I completely agree--never ever hyperventilate, no matter the number of breaths.

I partially agree. Never ever hyperventilate prior to a submerged breath hold. There is nothing wrong with taking a number of deep, long breathes before holding your breath on dry land.

Let me expand on my previous comment for those who didn't read it properly. I will hyperventilate a couple of times before a dry breath hold. Shallow water blackout is not very likely while I'm sitting on the side of the pool. Submerged breath holds I only do after at least 30-60 seconds of normal breathing.

I've got a lousy breast stroke frog leg. So I used the flutter with the breast stroke arm. I've got across the pool on the surface today on one breath. I'll have to try it on the bottom tomorrow. You are right - looking at the wall get you all anxious.

I've always found that no matter how long I can hold my breath on dry land, I never seem to get even close to holding it that long underwater. I figure I can usually go about 1/3 as long underwater. I do about 4 minutes on land, but only 1.5 underwater. It's really annoying, but there's so much resistance to movement you can't gelp it. I had to do an underwater swim for 25 m for scientific diver training and was surprised that I could make wit with only a little air to spare. I've started practicing my breath hold more often now, and the more I free dive the more I am able to stay under. It's all about staying calm and swimming fluidly.

fisherdvm:
I've got a lousy breast stroke frog leg. So I used the flutter with the breast stroke arm. I've got across the pool on the surface today on one breath. I'll have to try it on the bottom tomorrow. You are right - looking at the wall get you all anxious.

I find that the flutter kick works well too. If you believe you can do it and keep working at it you'll get there. I'm not sure the breath hold surface swims or walks are great analogs. Check out the posts at the link Sparticebrane provided, especially the video. it seems like a very efficient stroke but i couldn't master it. In any case keep on plugging, you'll get there.

do it easy:
Isn't the classical shallow water blackout caused when the ppO2 drops as pressure is decreased? My understanding is that the diver feels fine at depth, but ppO2 in the body becomes hypoxic as he ascends. For underwater hockey and most pools, I don't think there is enough depth for the classical SWB, but maybe just regular blacking out from breath holding. [/SIZE]

Yes, different causes but unfortunately, same result.
There are three different types of blackout. They are:

SHALLOW WATER BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by carbon dioxide retention. Unconsciousness strikes most commonly within 15 feet (five meters) of the surface. This is generally what happens to the person that swims long horizontal distances as the CO2 builds up in the body.

BREATH-HOLD BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by the gradual onset of hypoxia; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. Generally occurs to those that are practicing static breath holds.

ASCENT BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by sudden onset of hypoxia during ascent; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. This is what most refer to as Shallow Water Blackout. It is actually termed Ascent Blackout as the diver ascends and , upon expansion of the lungs, vital O2 is taken away from the brain and utilized by the lungs. A rapid ascent may increase liklihood as well as exhalation on ascent.

fisherdvm:
You know, I read about it, and tried it... It seems more like a diaphragmatic movement. Just moving the diaphram simulating a breath without actually exhaling.

It does decrease the urge to breath. At least for me, I was able to do about 5 or 6 "fake breath" once I got past 90 seconds or so, that would give me just enough mental stability to last till 2 minutes.
It sounds VERY MUCH like you are having diaphragmatic contractions. An involuntary response to an extended breath hold. It's your body's way of saying "You might want to consider getting your head out of water and breathing before we go black". I have been freediving for quite some time and can sustain 20 - 25 contractions but would not recommend exploring this without fully knowing your body's signals. If these are contractions you're experiencing, it's best to decrease your time underwater.

fisherdvm:
I got my static breath hold to 2 minute twice this morning and to 90 sec multiple times. Isn't 2 minute about the maximum that you should try.

Maybe I'll work on dynamic breath hold later... It is pretty safe to do dynamic (walking) for up to 90 sec, right?? And will give a go in the pool again tomorrow.
Don't focus on the static. Focus on the dynamic (with a qualified monitor if in water, of course). There are two keys to an extended breath hold: 1) RELAX and 2) training yourself to function in a state of apnea. Here is where dynamic becomes critical. Of course, for short term, there are ways to "trick" your body into an effective breath hold (without hyperventilation I might add.).:D PM me if you would like a couple of easy tips with your task. Most of what has been offered thus far is sound advice.

The thing that helped me the most was doing aerobic exercise in the gym, you have plenty of time to build your aerobic capacity.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom