How long will it take me to learn to do one breath hold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my fundies, while at first I was intimidated by the breath-hold (I honestly didn't know it was coming until Steve brought it up) I was able to do it my first try. The other guy taking the class with me was able to breath-hold swim there and back and he appeared pretty average build. It was explained to me that I could "fake breathe" once or twice at most and still be fairly safe, but once you got up to the third you were really risking blacking out. I did two bouts of "fake breathing" and made it to the edge of the pool.

SparticleBrane:
^^ Shallow water blackout, anyone?
Isn't the classical shallow water blackout caused when the ppO2 drops as pressure is decreased? My understanding is that the diver feels fine at depth, but ppO2 in the body becomes hypoxic as he ascends. For underwater hockey and most pools, I don't think there is enough depth for the classical SWB, but maybe just regular blacking out from breath holding.

As a rule, I agree- don't hyperventilate.

Disclaimer- If you read this or something bad happens to you, I am neither responsible nor liable. It is your own damn fault.

When I worked at a LDS several summers ago, one of the instructors told me about how his son had almost died a few years before that. Apparently he hyperventilated a lot to see how far he could go underwater...passed out, thankfully someone saw him on the bottom. :11:
I'm with you, I just don't think the rewards are worth the risk.

I tried it in the pool this morning, I think mentally, I got anxious and stopped short by about 5 m.

I got my static breath hold to 2 minute twice this morning and to 90 sec multiple times. Isn't 2 minute about the maximum that you should try.

Maybe I'll work on dynamic breath hold later... It is pretty safe to do dynamic (walking) for up to 90 sec, right?? And will give a go in the pool again tomorrow.

Sparticle,

When I was certified in the early 80's we were told it was ok to take 4 or 5 deep breaths before a breath hold but no more than that. I'm not going to tell anyone to do this but please, don't take offense, but where did you get the vendetta against hyperventalating. Are we really talking the same thing here? Of course I guess people will get carried away with anything, 4 or 5 breaths can turn into 30 seconds of hyperventalating.

TomP:
I agree on the determination and the goggles. I'd advise relaxation over adrenaline and say forget the wall. Sometimes seeing the goal is a motivation, sometimes it can go the other way. In either case looking up causes a lot of drag. I'd say keep your head down and watch the tiles fly by.

The goggles really help me too.

I have done 3 for classes so far, and managed them all but it's still a hug stress -- I need to get in the pool and work on doing it better.

fisher,

When you take your breath are you able to get your chest up out of the water as you inhale? People don't always realize how much that helps.

How I did it for my Fundies class was:

1. Relax - Get my heart rate down and focus on the task at hand.
  2. Drop down and breast stroke slowly - As one poster said: swim and glide.
  3. Visually watch where the 50ft. line was at and swam towards it.

I wore a mask, so I was able to easily see how far I went and how far I had to go. I think the big thing here is don't psych yourself out and relax while swimming. If you get your heart rate pumping to high your body will ask for more O2 and you will have the "I gotta breath" reflex as you sputter to the surface for a breath.

What the heck is a fake breath?

Is that where you exhale into your cheeks and re-inhale it? That doesn't seem like very much volume of air to move.

kelseysmith:
What the heck is a fake breath?

Is that where you exhale into your cheeks and re-inhale it? That doesn't seem like very much volume of air to move.

You know, I read about it, and tried it... It seems more like a diaphragmatic movement. Just moving the diaphram simulating a breath without actually exhaling.

It does decrease the urge to breath. At least for me, I was able to do about 5 or 6 "fake breath" once I got past 90 seconds or so, that would give me just enough mental stability to last till 2 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom