How long to wait AFTER scuba diving BEFORE conception?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I were certified a few weeks ago. We have a big dive trip planned this July in Jordan. We will try to get pregnant starting in September. There is no chance that we will get pregnant between now and September. Is there a time frame that a woman shouldn't dive prior to conception? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? I can't find a single answer on the internet! Thanks!

Can't think of any reason for such a restriction. (Except for the standard advice to avoid heavy exercise right after diving. ;-) )

If you're concerned, call the dive medical experts, Divers Alert Network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not a doctor but if you beleive what you read off the internet... well.. who needs doctors?

You don't have to worry about conception after diving. Wait... tell him one month and then take a picture of his face!

Is there a time frame that a woman shouldn't dive prior to conception? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? I can't find a single answer on the internet! Thanks!

inquiring minds need to know

how would you know when you will conceive?
afaik is not something you can plan ahead, like say "ok, may 25 we're going to conceive"

if women can safely dive while pregnant i don't see why would there be any restrictions on diving before conceiving

good luck! :D

Why not multitask? There's lot's of eager videographers, both amateur and professional, just hoping to find something truly memorable and a little out of the ordinary to record during their next their next dive outing.

Best wishes in all your endeavors, whether at sea or on land!

inquiring minds need to know

how would you know when you will conceive?
afaik is not something you can plan ahead, like say "ok, may 25 we're going to conceive"

if women can safely dive while pregnant i don't see why would there be any restrictions on diving before conceiving

good luck! :D

Uhm, pretty sure the advice is very strongly in the "do not dive while pregnant" camp still.

Diving and Pregnancy

if women can safely dive while pregnant...

Who said they can?

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/download/OB & Diving.pdf

"The overall picture of the literature
indicates that, while the effect may be
small, diving during pregnancy does
increase the risk to the fetus, and the
consequences could be devastating to
all involved. Appreciating these essential
factors, the prudent course is to avoid
diving while pregnant."

My wife and I went through this (with successful results thankfully) and were never told there was a recommended time to wait.

All advice we have received is to not dive if you are or could be pregnant.

I'd speak to your doctor or DAN and see what they say. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom