How long must i wait after tooth extraction???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzielim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys recently i got some problem with my tooth and need to be extract it out. but i have a trip coming up soon. so would like to check can i still go and dive 1 week later after my tooth extraction??

One week, you really need to consult your dentist regarding this... I was able to push back my extraction until after I returned from Bonaire. I dove again a couple weeks after it was pulled and I was ok but a week; I am not sure I would have done it myself after one week...!

My own concern would be the pressure that would be applied to the socket that is trying to heal at one week... I also had a bone implant so I could help the bone growth for when I get an implant... Again, it may be nothing but I would sure talk to a dentist and preferably one who dives!

lee

Last edited:
hi thanks Lee,

hmmm but i don't think i can wait any longer... as the pain is driving me crazy...
so going to remove my 3rd molar tooth tonight... hopefully can go diving next Friday as i already book everything and cant change the date...

I had a wisdom tooth that had to come out earlier this summer. It may have been a week that the surgeon requested, certainly no more than that.

As always consult your Dr. about your procedure on your body.

Pete

As others have said: Your dentist's recommendation is key. Only he/she can see how you're healing.

IIRC other times this question has been asked here, the general recommendation includes waiting until the wound is healed over (no air pockets underneath, either) and the jaw muscles can comfortably hold a regulator. Personally, I would consider this as a minimum waiting time, in addition to what your medical practitioner says, especially if he/she doesn't know much about diving.

DAN has this to say about the somewhat similar situation of wisdom tooth extraction. Their short answer is 4-6 weeks, and pain-free without use of medication.

Thanks guys for the feedback... I'v jus went to the doctor and got my tooth extracted... Have also check with the doctor... As mine is jus a normal extraction so it will take around 3 to 4 days to recover... So no issue on going for my trip next week..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom