How long is a dive computer good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How do. Looking at buying a new computer. Mine is pretty old. Just how many years are they good for considering software upgrades and such?

It depends significantly upon the computer.

I bought my first one in 1999. Its algorithm is still in use, unchanged, in the newest version. I used it regularly for 7-8 years, and then less frequently for a while. My computing needs changed, and it became a rarely used backup, so I sold it to a friend for whom it worked fine. I just learned that he bought a replacement for it because he does not like the algorithm. I believe he is going to sell it to someone else--it works as well as it ever did.

I currently use Shearwater computers, and they have periodic updates, but you just download them from their website and install. I have a friend who bought one of the first Shearwater Predators when it was created. It was missing a lot of the features that came in later models. No problem--it's fully updated now.

I still use on holidays as a backup a Uwatec Aladin Pro that I got in 1991. Still works perfectly, although it is now considered very basic.

First computer is a Suunto Solution purchased in 1992 shortly after OW certification from lunch money saving :). It still works and delivers accurate depth, time and temp readings. Very liberal algorithm, this predates RGBM so I think it uses a straight Buhlmann 16A (the latest is 16C). Although I've done deco dives with it in the past, I wouldn't use its algo for deco dives today knowing what we know now.

It's well built physically but that said, what you should look for are computers that will allow you to update the firmware and software online similar to the Shearwater implementation. I don't think you can do that in a Suunto. Obsolescence in a Dive Computer is more firmware/software related rather than hardware.

I have been using the same Uwatec Pro Nitrox since 1997 or was it 98. However the other Uwatec Pro Air which I bought a wee bit earlier expired last yr.

another '91 Aladin pro here still working great. Only reason it does not get more use is that I am mostly diving ~32%

If I am diving air, I really like it for its simplicity

a dive computer is good until it breaks. breakage is generally due to pressure sensor failure, mechanical failure of the enclosure / buttons or damage due to flooding.

being "old" does not mean a computer needs to be replaced. the software does not wear out.

my computers are over 20 years old and i will continue to use them until they "break". they are uwatec aladins and i do my own battery replacements (it is a messy job).

The thing about divers who might have old computers is that we often have old eyes! Not a lot of bright, large, color LCD screens in 90s era hardware, so maybe it's worth treating yourself to a Petrel for a "milestone" birthday... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom