How long have gear arguments been going on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time gear ever even came up on one of my dives was when I was doing a shore dive off the North Shore on Oahu a couple of years ago. There were a lot of rocks off the beach, so our guide told us to carry our fins rather than wear them until we got out into deeper water.

When the time came to put them on, I popped my fins on easily with my spring straps. One of the other divers in our group was really struggling with his buckle straps fins. At one point, he looked over at me and said, "I gotta get a pair of those."

No discussion about how fast, what kind of kick, buoyancy, etc.

The arguments that are heard today are rarely over new or innovative gear, they are more over brand vs. brand and, in reality, are sparing matches over possible profit or ego based defense of what a diver spent his or her hard earned bucks on.

I absolutely agree. Human nature.

The only article of "SCUBA" related equipment (I put the word SCUBA in "" for a reason) that I have had discussions over why I believe they are in appropriate in most if not all scenarios is the small Spare Air.

I have joked around with people over splits etc.. but have always accepted that their gear choices are theirs to make, not mine. If I had felt a gear choice could comprimise the safety of a dive then it would come up in a serious discussion.....otherwise it will not unless it is just a general discussion.

........ Infamous SB Double Post ........

I came into the game at the transition from DH to SH. We learned all skills on both and when it came time to chose; I went with SH and caught flack from some of the "old-timers." Then came any brand of gear vs. Scuba Pro. At the time, Scuba Pro was "Fair Trade" - no discounts. To those of us with barely enough funds to dive, Scuba Pro was a pariah. Jet Fins v. Rocket Fins? I dove Rocket Fins because I could afford them. First time I had the opportunity to use Jet Fins, I understood their value, but wouldn't buy them as I'd incur the wrath of my fellow divers for going over to the dark side. I was an early adopter of an SPG and had the first BC in our dive group. When I gave a talk at a YMCA Instructor Updater, I caught significant crap from the old guard for espousing the benefits of these radical pieces of gear. Then there was the At-Pac (sp?). Man was there controversy and arguments over that... Then came jacket style BCs. I participated in a series of tests that confirmed jacket style BCs would not float you face up. The basis of the paper was that the horse collar BC was the only "safe" BC to use. Then came computers (oh, forgot about arguments about the Bend-O-Matic or Farallon's two-tissue decompression meter) and ensuing arguments about their safety...

Oh, these equipment arguments have been going on for a long time... The internet just makes them more visible.

So here I am, 40+ years later... I gave up my Jet Fins for Split Fins several years ago. I still dive my Jet Belt (can't get used to integrated weights). I have two different BP/Ws with both of my Scuba Pro Classic BCs on mothballs. I dive a Mk25/S600. Still have my Edge, but dive an integrated computer with an older Orca Pilot as backup (two different algorithms). Oh, I can hear the arguments (discussions) flowing... Did I mention I’d like to find a good DH to dive…

Any sport that involves "high tech" is a recipe for "spirited" debate. My other passion is mountain biking and you think Scuba divers are passionate about what works best and what doesn't, try lurking on a mountain bike forum for a day or two. I have seen arguments over latex rubber versus butyl for inner tube choice go on for 10 pages and don't get me started on suspension designs.

Bob (Toronto)

I remember waaaay back in the late 70s or early 80s having a disagreement with my brother over masks. I had the oval orange rubber Ron Taylor mask, my brother a rectangular mask with nose pockets and side plates. The best part of his mask was you could take 5 pounds off your belt...that thing was so heavy.
He also declared Rocket fins superior to all others.

as a disclaimer, I was not diving back then...but snorkeling is pretty close

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom