How long do you soak your divecom after a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Just curious, what do most people usually do after a dive trip or after a dive. I use Uwatec Smartcom. When I come back from a trip, I usually soak it in a bucket of water for at least 24 hours. My only complain is that the divecom power stay on the whole time while submerge (as it should) so I figure that it would drain the battery quite a bit. I have the unit since last November, did a little over 50 hours worth of diving and probably a week worth of soaking in a bucket and my battery went from 96% down to 79%. At this rate I will need a new battery in 2-3 years time. Just wonder if I am overdoing it a bit and if I can get by with less soaking to save battery life.

Now, please, I don't want to start a topic about factory battery replacement is bad and Suunto user battery change is better argument and please don't suggest that I should not dive so I can conserve the battery :)

usually give it a rinse with the rest of my Dive gear and then maybe throw it in the bottom of the shower that night.

leaving it in a bucket of water for 24hours you are going to really churn through that battery.

I wash mine in freshwater for a couple of minutes and then dry it using a cloth

The computer is sealed and should only need to be soaked or rinsed for a few minutes to remove the salt. Regulators on the other hand have lots of little nooks and crannies for the salt and grime to build up which is why they are soaked longer.

Thanks for the info. Since I soak everything else at least a day after a trip, I thought I should do the same for divecom as well.
I also thought that to prevent salt build up around the pressure sensor, it would be a good idea to soak it for awhile but I guess it is not neccessary. Good, this way, hopefully my battery will last a bit longer :)

I always take my small stuff (mask, snorkel, computer, regulator set etc) and wash them off in the sink really well with some warm/hot water and my built in sink sprayer. Then dry them off with a soft towel and lay them out to air dry. Then next day I will go over them and look for salt crystals on all the edges/crevices and brush them off with a soft bristle brush and some water. ALl done in no time!

Brules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom