How Long Do Veo250 Batteries Last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping Doug Krouse can chime in on this thread...
I've been using a Veo250 computer for the past 10 or so dives. Upon receiving the computer, the battery was dead. No big deal...I figured it was normal if the computer had been sitting on a shelf for months or years. I put in a fresh Duracell battery. 5-7 dives later, the battery low warning came on. Without giving it too much thought I replaced the battery with another Duracell...I figured I must have had a 'bad' battery the first time. 5 dives later, the battery-low warning came on again...***?! This time I was a little p***ed.
Now I'm deciding wether I should replace the battery again or send the computer back to Oceanic.
The manual clearly states that the computer should last at least 50 dives on a single battery, NOT 5 dives. Do I have a defective Veo 250?...Has anyone else had this problem?

Here is the update on my computer and battery issue from Doug Krause, the Oceanic rep ...you have to use only Panisonic or Sony batteries ...
... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oc...al-state-what-brand-batteries-acceptable.html

It's because only those two brands of CR2450 batteries are rated for "pulse duty" as explained in the post

D_B,

Thanks for the update. Did you try using Sony/Panasonic batteries and you know for sure that doing so resolved this problem?

It all makes sense about the batteries ...
the spike in current draw needed by the computer to "do something" causes the voltage to drop because the battery can not supply the momentary higher current needed, causing the low battery warning and weird symptoms

I have not had to replace my batteries since getting my VEO250, but you better beleive that I purchased Panasonic ones this time

I've sent 2 of my 3 VEO250's back to the factory because of this problem. Last weekend I had one of them act up again, but it returned to full charge on it's own. I've been using Energizer batteries. Looks like I will have to try the suggested types.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom