How Long Do Masks And Snorkels Last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use two masks. One for excursion diving and one for the pool.
The first one is a Cressi Matrix that I bought in 2007. Well preserved it's like new. Only the strap had to be replaced. To avoid yellowishing I cover it with liquid silicone at the end of each dive excursion. The second one is an Omersub black silicone low volume mask, that I use in the pool almost 3 times a week for courses. I don't know when it was manufactured, because I found it 6 years ago snorkeling. It was already incrusted with sea life, so I suppose it was there submerged some months. Only one strap change ever since.
Related to snorkels I have a Scubapro Escape snorkel I bought together with the Cressi mask in 2007, used for dive excursions and pool 3 times a week. Still pristine.

I think masks last until you throw one in the rinse bucket, miss, and it goes overboard. While everyone's busy taking off heir gear etc., so by the time someone can get their fins and mask back on and dive after it, you've lost sight of it and it's gone.

They last a lot longer if when rinsing with a dilute chlorine bleach to get rid of some mold in the corners you do not get distracted and forget that it is soaking for 2 days. The soft parts got all gummy and sticky. :(

Fortunately the prescripition lens were still ok and I was able to put in a new mask.

Masks do have a limited but long life span. My spare mask - about 25 years old broke in two on a dive. I had loaned it to a diver that needed a loaner because luggage did not arrive. It had no obvious flaws - just failed at depth. Not something you want to experience while diving. Can't remember the brand, but it was a quality mask.

Back
Top Bottom