How Long Do Masks And Snorkels Last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jay515

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am new to the board and have been looking for the answer to this question here and elsewhere. I haven't been snorkeling for quite awhile (can't dive for medical reasons), anyway I am driving down the Keys and will to snorkel multiple times--perhaps nearly every day on a three week trip. I dislike the equipment various dive and snorkel boats have so I will buy my own.

About 15 years ago I bought an Oceanic dry snorkel and a Seadive mask. The mask has been in a plastic box and the snorkel looks unbent, but everything has yellowed. But I understand silicone does dry out, and the dry snorkels are unreliable after awhile--not sure where I heard that one.

I'm gathering i can get better prices here and online.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how long they can last. I've had both for 6 years with no issues. Maybe try taking them to your local dive shop so they can take a look or trying them out in your local pool (or even bath tub since you're only snorkeling and not diving)?

I buy lots of stuff online, but a mask really needs to fit your particular face to work well so it's not something I would recommend buying online...unless you tried it first in a shop.

(A leaking mask is one of the most annoying things out there.)

I would guess you can find lots of shops in Florida that sell masks and snorkels. I buy generic brands of masks that are usually about $30. The quality of the frame, skirt buckles and strap is the same. I've had $75 ScubaPro masks and they haven't lasted any longer. Just try a bunch on and see what fits.

Like others have said - you might actually need to go try masks on - they are pretty personal items. Take my case for example - I am basically blind so I need to use a perscription mask in order to even function which means the mask better fit right the first time before I spend large amounts of money adding custom lenses to it. Unfortunately I don't get to use all the awesome cool masks :(

For mask, you can easily check if still working. Put it on, see if the skirt still seal. Is the silicon dry rooted, and inhale with nose to check vacuume seal. If everything check out, I would have no problem using it. Clear silicon do turn yellow with time, it is not a sigh of failure. And Dry snorkel is never reliably dry, old or new.

My Tusa mask is about 25 years old. Only a slight yellowish g of the silicon. Still going strong. I only wish that I could find the same available on eBay OT get a replacement.

About the snorkels, it seems that the connection of the flexible rubber mouthpiece to the rigid plastic tube is the weak link. I somehow lost the mouthpiece from a new Mares snorkel only after about 2 dozen dives, and I saw same happened recently to a fellow diver on the boat. In his case, it happened while he was getting ready to go so he kept the part but was not able to put it back. So if you have doubts, better tighten it with a cable tie or something.

My snorkel is my original. It's close to 25 years old. Works as well as the day I got it. I also have the mask that I got with it. Still perfectly useable but yes, the silicone is a bit tinged in color.

Ealonora's advice is perfect. No sense in buying new if everything still works for you.

Thanks for all the very useful comments!!

I have bought a mask online, actually bought a ProEar ten years ago. It fit fine, but the ear connection broke off. While it worked, I didn't help me clear my ears, and I got lots of teasing about being an alien (doesn't help that I have slim fins which look like alien feet), but the mask was nice.

That would need to be one deep bath tub to test out a snorkel!! :) Since the valve that gives out, you'd have to dive down maybe 5 feet, see if the valve closes up. Sounds like the bathtub in Harry Potter.

This was an awesome dry snorkel. The only way it got water in it is a very large wave at a certain angle. I found it very reliable. Did not know the connection was the weak link. I don't know where I read re: the valve.

I checked the mask out, it still seals.

I found out Diver's Direct is in Key Largo, might go there at the beginning of my trip, if I need something. I'll check out the mask now, the snorkel in a pool when I get to Miami. (Driving Miami to KW.) Nope, I'm all for keeping what I had. It may not be the greatest best mask but it had a nice seal, as long as I adjusted it well.

Our family has dove a mask since 1977. Still going strong 39 years later. Replaced the strap with neoprene a few years ago.

Also had my 3 week old back up mask frame crack in my carry on luggage 2 days ago. So milage may vary.

Dive safe!
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom