How long a hose for your primary when using BCD inflator air second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going to use an Atomic Safe Second inflator instead of a regular octopus.

If I am going to hand off my primary air source to my buddy in case of an emergency, it seems like the standard 32 inch hose on my primary may be a bit short. I'd like to get more space between us when I have handed off my primary and not have him/her right in my face.

My current primary hose is 32 inches.

Octopus hoses seem to average around 40 inches.

I am considering a 44 or 48 inch hose for my primary.

Would this be long enough? I've seen videos of folks with 60 and even 84 inch primary hoses, but that seems like it would introduce tangling issues. I'd like something long enough to keep some distance from my buddy while sharing my primary, but not so long that it's going to be a nuisance.

What is the advice of the collective?

I am going to use an Atomic Safe Second inflator instead of a regular octopus.

If I am going to hand off my primary air source to my buddy in case of an emergency, it seems like the standard 32 inch hose on my primary may be a bit short. I'd like to get more space between us when I have handed off my primary and not have him/her right in my face.

My current primary hose is 32 inches.

Octopus hoses seem to average around 40 inches.

I am considering a 44 or 48 inch hose for my primary.

Would this be long enough? I've seen videos of folks with 60 and even 84 inch primary hoses, but that seems like it would introduce tangling issues. I'd like something long enough to keep some distance from my buddy while sharing my primary, but not so long that it's going to be a nuisance.

What is the advice of the collective?

Generally speaking, you want to be able to hold an OOA diver at arm’s length, so that they are not in your face as you ascend to the surface. Extra long hoses are used in tec diving where you might have an OOA diver exiting a cave or wreck in front of the diver donating air. So yes your thinking about having a longer primary hose is correct, but I believe that a 48 inch hose is too long and will just get in the way. Personally I would not use this type of setup, but that is an individual choice. Good luck and be safe.

Generally speaking, you want to be able to hold an OOA diver at arm’s length, so that they are not in your face as you ascend to the surface. Extra long hoses are used in tec diving where you might have an OOA diver exiting a cave or wreck in front of the diver donating air. So yes your thinking about having a longer primary hose is correct, but I believe that a 48 inch hose is too long and will just get in the way. Personally I would not use this type of setup, but that is an individual choice. Good luck and be safe.

I have tried it with shorter than 48inch but the hose keeps pulling on the second stage and isn't comfortable at all. 48 inch does the trick. I also use a 110degree hose swivel.

48"-60"

40 is the absolute minimum I would use. But a 60 routed properly is a better choice. Realize however that while the person you donated to is going to be nice and comfy, that reg you'll now be breathing off of is going to restrict you in ways you probably haven't thought of.

60", and replace the Safe Second with a 2nd stage similar to your primary.

2.1m/7ft and 60cm/2ft.

60", and replace the Safe Second with a 2nd stage similar to your primary.

I upgraded to a 48" Miflex when this discussion surfaced on here a while back.

My signature says the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom