How likely is it a dive shop will add my console to their rental gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends entirely on the shop. I would allow it and I believe most others would too. You shouldn't bother buying your own spanner though, the shop will more than likely want their staff to make the switch not you.

I've seen it done several times...not a big deal, but it depends on the shop. Most of the time it's just the transmitter for an AI computer, but the amount of work if the same. I like the idea of carrying a cheap wrench (and a few extra o rings) that way there is no mad scramble to find a wrench on the boat.

safe travels,
Jay

So, I have an Oceanic Geo wrist computer that is roughly watch-sized. I would suggest something like that. It isn't air integrated. I dive with that on my right arm and a compass on my left arm. I don't rent regulators, but I do have several sets for various reasons and it's convenient to be able to grab any one of them without having to fiddle around pairing or attaching the computer or transmitter.

Most rental places are accommodating but you can't depend on them permitting a swap.

I would take having to deal with shops changing hoses out of the mix all together and just carry your own first and second stages set up like you want them.

You know how most divers travel with a gigantic sack of gear? That's not me - I backpack, usually for weeks at a time, with diving being only one of many things I do during that trip. That means I generally can't get away with bringing anything more than my mask and computer.
You may want to consider freediving as an alternative to scuba for getting in your diving experience. Much less gear involved. Many freedivers can do a lot with nothing more than a mask, speedo, and a wristwatch style freedive computer to track depth and time. You'll likely want one that you can set alarms for key depths and times.

You know how most divers travel with a gigantic sack of gear? That's not me - I backpack, usually for weeks at a time, with diving being only one of many things I do during that trip. That means I generally can't get away with bringing anything more than my mask and computer.

But I'm sick of crappy rental gear with (ick) digital depth gauges (or even worse - no depth gauge, like I just had in Portugal), computers that aren't tied to my dive records, pressure gauges that can't make up their mind between bar & psi, and so on.

You bring your own mask and dive computer? In that case, why are you looking at a rented console for depth or dive records? All you should need is the rented console to tell you your tank pressure.

I can only assume that you mean your bring your mask and a laptop computer, not a dive computer.

In which case, it's already been said. Get an air integrated computer that also has a compass built in, and a transmitter. Ask the shop to swap their console for your AI transmitter. If they will, great. If they won't, then all you are depending on from their rental gear is that the SPG in their console works and you can read it. Or, take a wrench and do the swap yourself once you are on the boat or at the dive site.

The Shearwater Perdix AI has AI and a compass. I think the Oceanic OCi or something like that also does (have AI and a built-in compass). Oceanic definitely makes a computer that looks like a wristwatch, has AI, and has a compass built in. The ScubaPro Galileo 2 also has AI and a compass. No way I'd buy a G2 over a Perdix AI, but I mention it for the sake of completeness. I'm not sure what other options there are for AI and a built in compass.

Back
Top Bottom