How likely is it a dive shop will add my console to their rental gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveTheGreat

Registered
Reaction score
You know how most divers travel with a gigantic sack of gear? That's not me - I backpack, usually for weeks at a time, with diving being only one of many things I do during that trip. That means I generally can't get away with bringing anything more than my mask and computer.

But I'm sick of crappy rental gear with (ick) digital depth gauges (or even worse - no depth gauge, like I just had in Portugal), computers that aren't tied to my dive records, pressure gauges that can't make up their mind between bar & psi, and so on. Renting consoles from different dive shops every couple days sucks.

So I want to put together my own console, with the gauges the way I like them (4-gauger, compass on top, analog pressure & depth), carry it in my pack and just ask the dive shops to attach it to the octopus I rent from them.

QUESTION - Will they do this? Is this going to cause maintenance issues? Will the console have to be re-certified or something every single time? What would YOU say to a diver who will only dive with you for two days at the most who wants his own console hooked up in place of your rental gear?

Feedback welcome.

If you really want to do it... a console and HP hose should be a minor hassle to swap into rental equipment. Check before booking. There's no recertification and done carefully there's very little wear on the equipment. Carry the right wrench so it's even more convenient. Maybe add a tip.

Regards,
Cameron

Speaking as a shop monkey: I would do it, although if you have something like a quick-disconnect or a odd adapter, I probably wouldn't unless you brought your own hose. That said, I've put customers computers on rental regs, but AI transmitters are way more common requests than people asking to put a whole console on a rental reg.

As an alternative to the console and hose option you could buy a dive computer that's everyday wearable as a watch. There are plenty on the market. You could get one that is A.I. capable. It would be quite simple to add the transmitter onto the rental regs I doubt any dive operators would complain.

You can do it yourself. All you need is a wrench and 2 seconds.

An alternative that you have is to use wrist mounted gauges. Compass on one arm, computer on the other arm. The only thing the regulator will need then is an SPG.

R..

You know how most divers travel with a gigantic sack of gear? That's not me - I backpack, usually for weeks at a time, with diving being only one of many things I do during that trip. That means I generally can't get away with bringing anything more than my mask and computer.

But I'm sick of crappy rental gear with (ick) digital depth gauges (or even worse - no depth gauge, like I just had in Portugal), computers that aren't tied to my dive records, pressure gauges that can't make up their mind between bar & psi, and so on. Renting consoles from different dive shops every couple days sucks.

So I want to put together my own console, with the gauges the way I like them (4-gauger, compass on top, analog pressure & depth), carry it in my pack and just ask the dive shops to attach it to the octopus I rent from them.

QUESTION - Will they do this? Is this going to cause maintenance issues? Will the console have to be re-certified or something every single time? What would YOU say to a diver who will only dive with you for two days at the most who wants his own console hooked up in place of your rental gear?

Feedback welcome.
well, if I was in your position there are two things I would do:
a) bring a big, awkward console and hose, small wrench and just unscrew and attach from first stage once I have my gear..maybe just mention it first time
b) bring a pdc, compass or my petrel..or get a perdix AI that will save you weight and less things dangling..

A couple of thoughts:

With dive computers becoming so prevalent, most (many, all?) rental gear I have seen lately only includes a SPG. No mechanical depth gauge. This tells me you should just buy a computer. Simplest solution all round.

I claim that most resort places will be very hesitant to alter their gear by swapping in your console. It currently takes zero effort for the booking monkey to grab a reg set and pass it to you. If you want a swap, then they need to find a tech with a tool, stash the removed spg somewhere and then remember to reswap it (hopefully they can still find it) at the end of the week. This is way more than zero effort. It does not make business sense unless you are prepared to pay a premium for your rental gear. As a business person, I would charge you twice the cost of a computer rental.

1. Big console is heavy to carry around.
2. Get your own computer and compass.
3. And if you think bar/psi is too confusing then you should bring your own spg with HP hose and a small adjustable spanner.

Not a shop, so could be wrong but so long as you are willing to notify them a little in advance and possibly pay a little extra, I think most would do it. It should only take a few minutes to switch them out.

I am not sure though if most shops would be keen on an outsider taking spanners to their rental stock (all to easy for someone to screw up a set of regs by overtightening a hose)

Personally I have an AI computer so if I wanted to, it would be even simpler and lighter to swap out. All I need is the transmitter added to the reg set. The computer has depth, gas, compass etc all in one place.

I think the solution to your minimalist backpack is pretty simple, wrist wireless AI computer with an integrated compass and the transmitter on a 6 inch HP hose or a wired console AI computer with a standard length HP hose. The latter taking up more real estate in your backpack due to the longer hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom