How is your Milk Crate Setup / Tricked Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading out again tomorrow on a charter where everyone, including the crew, use milk crates. There were some interesting setups, so I'll see if I can get some photos.
Are you diving the U-869?

Some things I found helpful. Be able to identify your crate from different angles in case a bunch of black ones are set up on the dock. I use a grey crate with my name and phone number on it.

Also I found my bolt snaps fell through the holes in the bottom and made it tricky to remove from under certain boat seats. A sink matt allows water to drain but not fall through the bottom.

Add a couple bungee cords tied in the corners or where you like it so you can attach bolt snaps.

I like a flat bungee cord for my fins on the top and then set them off to the side of the crate when I'm on the boat but will try the side mounting them on the crate next time. It also doubles as additional tank straps if needed in rough weather.

A spray bottle of baby shampoo and water for seals and defog works well.

It has worked well for me to keep organized with the reg bag on top then the fins usually in order of when the equipment is needed setting up. It also minimized the amount of trips loading and unloading my gear. The pic probably isn't terribly helpful, but I just keep making changes as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 118
I'm out on a charter in NJ right now and my crate worked great. Every single person here also has a milk crate. I guess it's a north east thing...
I keep meaning to look around out there.. just always seem too busy talking I guess.
Where do you get milk crates nowdays?
I think Amazon has a wide range of colors, last time I looked they were $25 for the larger rectangular ones.
I use a milk crate for all the things that require charging and zip tie a surge protector to the side with all the chargers in it. When I go to a sight or on a trip you only need to unplug one plug and pick up and go. When you get home you only need to plug one plug and it’s all charging at this point.
I've thought about a charger mounted in there somewhere. Great idea, thanks.

I have the crates, a sidemount/tech crate, a back mount/rec/teaching crate, and a things I need for both crate. The teaching crate ends up having some pretty random stuff in it (for example single boot pictured).

I haven't done much except put a bit of bungee inside to clip off on to. I like the idea of fins on the outside though...

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_064713323_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230820_064713323_HDR.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 117
I have the crates, a sidemount/tech crate, a back mount/rec/teaching crate, and a things I need for both crate. The teaching crate ends up having some pretty random stuff in it (for example single boot pictured).

I haven't done much except put a bit of bungee inside to clip off on to. I like the idea of fins on the outside though...
That looks like your average "yard sale" crate 🤣

That looks like your average "yard sale" crate 🤣
Yeah, I'm out teaching at the moment... I got here yesterday and one of my first thoughts was, "Where the f*** did that boot come from, and why do I have this snorkel?"

That's OK, I actually went diving one time when my crate only had a single boot! :oops:
That's what the laminated card is for in the crate. I run a checklist before I leave the house.

I may have to add a "get rid of extra stuff" box though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom