How is the San Marcos and Comal Rivers now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning on a trip to snorkel/dive the San Marcos and Comal Rivers at the end of August. I haven't been there since March and wondered how they were right now. Are the levels still up? Is it still 20+ of viz in each? Is it too crowded to get a dive group into it right now? Thanks.

Where is the best place to dive the San Marcos River? I know about Aquarena Center but am looking for something outside the State managed facility as I don't want to do the scientific diver program. I am curious about any good locations along the San Marcos River that would be good for diving or even snorkelling.

You can dive at the headwaters/spillway at Joe's Crab Shack, there are some chambers under the shack that you can explore. You can also drift from there down to Rio Vista Park where the River Pub and Grill is. From Joe's to about midway down into Texas State's Sewell Park is shallow it deepens out for the rest of the float/drift.

Thanks for the info.

We were thinking about doing dives/snorkeling around Joe's and around the River Pub & Grill area. Do you know roughly how deep it is near the River Pub & Grill?

For Comal, since we only have one truck. We were planning on either putting in at the highest point at Hinnman or lowest point at Landa RV park and working upstream for the first part of the dive. If the current isn't too strong, we will just meander around a bit.

Are there any other places worth hitting in that area? This will be a first dive for a newly certified diver and snorkeling/diving for two 11-year olds.

We were planning on doing the Scientific Diver that weekend, but the newly cert'ed OW diver felt she doesn't quite yet have the bouyancy skills needed to pass the course. But as soon as she feels confident, we will be immediately heading to Aquarena Springs for the course. I have been wanting to do that since I got certified last year.

San Marcos River:
Near the River Pub at the Rio Vista Dam it gets around 10+ feet in a few areas and there is quite a few fish to gander at.
Comal:
If you just have one vehicle I would park at Hinmann Island closer to the Tube Chute and just walk up to the first set of stairs and drift down to the last set, Depth is about 8-10 feet, add a few extra Lbs of weight so if you want to stop to look at the Pleco Catfish or other things you dump BC air and grab the bottom. The walk back up isn't bad fully geared and you can get several trips out of one tank. Getting in at the RV park only gives you about 30 yards more river to float and there's not an easy way to get back there without a second vehicle. See one of my earlier posts: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=82785

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom