How is the new Mexico rule about accepting dollars affecting people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quality printers have made counterfeiting USDollars and Travelers Checks much too common. I guess it might be good to take a bill checking marker on trips, then leave it as a gift. With crappy exchange rate & fees that Wells Fargo allows on cards, I like to take an assortment of smaller bills and not deal with refunds. Where to keep my cash stash was my challenge on the last trip.

My bank has just stopped even selling travelers cheques as they've become too big a problem. We usually take enough US cash for our whole trip (hotel/car is prepaid) and convert some to pesos throughout the stay. If the hotel has a safe, we keep the cash there, if not, I've been know to put it in my carry-on suitcase locked inside my larger suitcase stuffed in either the closet, under the bed, or corner of the room. Never had any problems (so far!) I have to say, even the maids at FA have been so honest that if we did not clearly indicate the bills left for their tip were for them, they would not take the money.

I think they are still angry from the 1996 Olympics when they were told that a particular ticket-sale phone line was for USA residents only...

leave your US cash at home bring your ATM card the atm machines will dispense pesos at the best rate you'll get that day
PS.. Im living in mexico

EXCEPT watch out for the bank or resort fees . . . I got hit up for 13.% because I went too fast and didn't notice the resort fee . . . :shakehead:

leave your US cash at home bring your ATM card the atm machines will dispense pesos at the best rate you'll get that day
PS.. Im living in mexico

EXCEPT watch out for the bank or resort fees . . . I got hit up for 13.% because I went too fast and didn't notice the resort fee . . . :shakehead:
Plus there have been some problems with some of the ATMs on Coz not dispensing the cash but hitting your bank account, so I would not rely 100% on ATM's.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/345635-coz-atm-warning-again.html

PS.. Im living in mexico
I may get a debit card from one of the banks that allows good exchange rates and no commissions. It's really controlled by the bank and Wells Fargo gives a poor rate plus 3% fee = 13% total loss. :mad: I think we established that Capital One uses Wall Street Journal exchange rates and no fees even tho Visa and Master Card charge a 1% fee to them, but I can't find that post.
Resort fee? :confused:

I returned from Cozumel today, after a fantastic 7 day stay with 6 diving days.

U.S. $ is accepted all over the place. I got about U.S. $250 worth of pesos at the Cancun airport Santander ATM machine and it went a long way. Every now and then I would pay in U.S. dollars, for example when I tipped Pedro Pablo and Mago for their super help/service, and at El Choza. Or, at Mega.

I say just bring enough U.S. dollars and you are good.

judydivescoz - Quick question as we will be there in 11 days! Where is the branch on 10? By your post I assume this is a Santander ATM also. Thanks for any info you can give!

Not sure if you got a response, but the Santander is on 10 and 3. There are also several HSBC bank machines (among others) that I use a lot with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom