How is the KM Bandmask for welding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bakodiver391

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm considering a band mask for welding and wondering if spatter will eat up the neoprene. I know they make a hard skull cap for this mask but I'm skeptical that the soft parts will hold up, particularly since most of my work is overhead. Any experience?

It sucks. And for many other jobs besides welding. Also, it seems a few years ago all the dive ops in the US quit allowing us to use them.

Really the only benefit to a bandmask for welding is for overhead work. As a general, blanket statement, a helmet is a more favorable tool. However, if the welding is specifically going to be overhead as you state, then a bandmask will actually be more comfortable for you. When I say "overhead", I mean exactly that. Especially if you're going to be "midwater" or having to hog in with a line rather than being able to stabilize off a solid brace or other structural component. But, for essentially any other application, the bandmask is going to be less than optimum if you have the choice available to you.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like increased mobility on the plus side and decreased overall functionality and durability on the negative side. Cheers for clearing that up.

The big issue with the BM is that all the junk that swishes around gets in the hood and you spend your off time picking slag, critters and sand out of your hair and ears. Also, of you encounter a pop or hydrogen explosion it will probably rip the mask off, a helmet is less likely to come off. Band masks are best suited for quick response like the standby diver.

I'm considering a band mask for welding and wondering if spatter will eat up the neoprene. I know they make a hard skull cap for this mask but I'm skeptical that the soft parts will hold up, particularly since most of my work is overhead. Any experience?

You would be better off with a helmet in most cases. I am not sure if you are talking about working in an overhead environment or if the welding you are doing is overhead. If you are welding something over your head a band mask would give you more flexibility then a helmet but wearing a brain bucket with the mask would reduce that flexibility a bit though it would still be better then the helmet. I have a brain bucket for my band mask but never found it to be a better option then using a helmet.

IMG_1351.jpgIMG_1350.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1348.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom